Staff Attorney (LITC)
Nevada Legal Services (NLS), www.nevadalegalservices.org, seeks a full-time staff attorney for its Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) to start immediately.
We are looking for candidates who are excited to work in a fast-paced environment on federal personal income tax controversies representing low income and ESL taxpayers before the Internal Revenue, in US Tax Court. The LITC attorney will be expected to work closely with community-based organizations, to educate low income and ESL taxpayers about their rights and responsibilities as US taxpayers, and to publicize the LITC and its services.
• A demonstrated passion for social justice and commitment to working with immigrant communities, communities of color and low-income communities to advance equity;
• Excellent analytical, research and writing skills;
• Strong interpersonal, communication, time management and organizational skills;
• Enthusiasm for and experience developing partnerships with community -based advocates;
• A facility working with software technology and proficiency in the entire MS Office suite;
• Experience with LegalServer or other case management systems (preferred);
• Fluency or strong proficiency in a second language (preferred);
• Litigation advocacy experience with federal income tax issues (preferred); and
• Bar admission in any state or soon to be obtained and eventually the U.S Tax Court.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, two recent writing samples, and the names of three references with the Subject Line: “Tax Staff Attorney” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please. Resumes must be submitted by October 6.
NLS is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to race, gender and economic justice in our work and within our workplace. People of color, women, people with disabilities, gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people, and people over the age of 40 are welcome and encouraged to apply. NLS is a part of the Legal Services and provides competitive salary and benefits.