Staff Attorney (Immigration Law Unit)
Dedicated to ensuring dignity, equality, and fairness for over 100 years and the proud recipient of Greater Rochester Association for Women Attorney’s 2022 Family Friendly Award!
The Attorney will provide direct legal representation to low- and middle-income immigrants on all immigration issues including citizenship applications, waivers of the oath of citizenship for immigrants with a disability, applications for green cards, Asylum applications, DACA applications, adjustment of status applications, VAWA applications, relative petitions, consular processing in a case-by-case basis, work permits. The Attorney will also provide legal representation to individuals in removal proceedings before the Immigration Court in Buffalo and Batavia, NY. They will also appear at interviews before UCIS in Buffalo; prepare other immigration applications as required. They will travel within New York State and the Finger Lakes Region. This position is based in the Legal Aid office in Rochester, NY
Representation includes, but not limited to:
- Draft and review all pleadings, motions, and papers;
- Conduct disclosure and investigation; file motions;
- Consult and negotiate with other counsel and, as appropriate, other parties;
- Represent clients at all appearances, hearings, and proceedings; and
- File notices of appeal, settle orders and records, and represent clients in other post-dispositional proceedings before the court.
- Provide community outreach, education, and training to community partners.
- Consult with and review the work of assigned support staff.
- Transcribe complete, accurate, and detailed case notes in all case file through our case management system, LegalServer.
- Conduct legal research in each case as required.
- Maintain knowledge of legislative changes and current case law; attend Continuing Legal Education training.
- Attend and participate in LASROC’s Immigration Law staff meetings and general LASROC meetings/gatherings.
- Provides legal support to other programs from time to time as may be necessary.
- Additional duties at the discretion of the Director, Immigration Law.
- Consistently operate office equipment such as a computer, photocopier, and fax machine.
- While performing these job responsibilities, the employee must maintain consistent communication with staff and clients and must be able to exchange clear and accurate information about the results and outcomes of their work.
- Able to step into a current caseload of 20-30 pending cases.
- Employer contributions toward health and dental insurance plans
- 15 days of vacation to start (More based on experience)
- 96 hours of sick leave
- 32 hours of personal time
- 14 paid holidays a year
- $600 per year internet stipend
- 3% match on the 401(k) or Roth 401(k) plan of your choice
- 14 paid holidays a year
- 5% language differential for being proficient in a program-relevant language
Human Resources, The Legal Aid Society of Rochester, NY, 1 West Main Street, Suite 800, Rochester, N.Y. 14614.
LASROC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
- Juris Doctor & admission to New York State Bar.
- Prior Immigration or NYS Criminal or Federal/Administrative law experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate in a language other than English preferred.
- High level of initiative, self-motivation, and organization.
- Excellent legal research and writing skills.
- Strong negotiating ability.
- Ability to articulate thoughts and ideas effectively and accurately.
- Respectful and empathetic consideration for clients.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues and community partners.
- Access to reliable transportation.
Please apply through the below link: