Staff Attorney (Immigrant and Workers' Rights)
For over 50 years, LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year, our 80+ attorneys and other staff help resolve civil legal problem including consumer fraud, foreclosure, unfair evictions, domestic violence, and many others. Position and Responsibilities: The Immigrants and Workers’ Rights Practice Group (IWR) has an opening for a full-time staff attorney. IWR is an interdisciplinary Practice Group that provides legal services in the areas of employment, immigration, human trafficking and migrant and agricultural worker law. Our work in immigration, human trafficking, and migrant farmwork law is statewide.
The Staff Attorney’s duties include, but are not limited to:
• Providing comprehensive legal services to clients with employment law involving, as primary areas, wage theft, unemployment, employment discrimination, and expungements; immigration services primarily for survivors of crime, including U visa and other immigration remedies; migrant farmworker and agricultural worker representation primarily through federal litigation with some agency representation and advocacy; and human trafficking advocacy, including victims' rights representation, T visas, name changes, and other relevant legal issues; • Co-counseling some cases across IWR;
• Litigating in federal and state court, and a variety of administrative venues;
• Conducting community outreach in Illinois;
• Providing training and technical assistance to service providers;
• Working closely with community partners;
• Making appropriate referrals to outside agencies;
• Participate in public relations and/or fundraising efforts as needed.
• Other relevant duties as determined by the Group’s Supervisory Attorneys and the Director.
While the Practice Group has an interdisciplinary element to its work, each discipline also carries out independent work. The new Staff Attorney will be assigned to one primary discipline but will be assigned some work in other disciplines as well. Qualifications: We seek a candidate who is committed to working with vulnerable populations and who is interested in the comprehensive needs of low-wage workers, immigrants and survivors of crime and human trafficking. We value a strong commitment to team-centered work. A successful candidate will have good Spanish skills and will also be comfortable communicating with clients who have limited English proficiency. The candidate should have a driver’s license (LAF will provide a vehicle for outreach work).
Applications: Send resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for two professional references, by e-mail, to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Put the phrase “IWR Staff Attorney” on the subject line of the e-mail. No phone calls, please. This position will remain open until filled. LAF values Diversity, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of disability and encourages candidates with experience working with our client population to apply.