Staff Attorney (Housing Stability Project)
The Housing Stability Project will initially focus exclusively on rental housing issues but may expand into home ownership issues in the future. While the Project is focused on housing, coordination with other areas of law is important, including domestic violence protections for tenants, and Fair Housing laws. Under this Project, PSLS staff will primarily represent tenants being wrongfully evicted or terminated from private or subsidized housing. Staff may also be involved in filing lawsuits to address habitability or serious health and safety issues within rental housing. In addition to litigation, the staff will help prepare and distribute legal information and resources for renters, hold in-person and virtual presentations to inform residents and social service providers about the laws surrounding evictions, work with local agencies and courts to establish coordinated eviction responses, and review and respond to updated rules related to evictions and rental assistance programs.
Among other duties as assigned, the Staff Attorneys in this project will:
- Provide a full range of legal services, including legal research and factual investigation, counsel and advice, brief services and document preparation, dispute resolution, and representation of clients in administrative and judicial proceedings
- Interview and provide services to applicants on-site at courthouse sites, outreach locations and the office
- Develop and maintain networking relationships with community agencies that serve the client population in targeted communities and with other local stakeholders
- Assist in developing community legal information and training
- Provide accurate and complete information for grant reporting to funders including documenting services in client case records
- Exhibit a high level of personal energy, organization, and commitment to the position and the PSLS mission
Salary and Benefits
The Housing Stability Staff Attorney position is a full-time position at 37.5 hours per week. PSLS offers a salary competitive with similar organizations. Our Staff Attorney salary scale starts at $60,577 per year for newly licensed attorneys and increases with each year of relevant experience. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
- Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 403b Retirement Plan including employer contributions
- Extensive training and education program
- PTO that starts at 3 weeks/year and increases with additional years worked at PSLS
- Paid sick leave
- 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- 12 Paid holidays
- Flex schedule and partial remote work
Prairie State Legal Services is a not for profit civil legal aid organization that has served northern and central Illinois for more than 40 years, maintains 11 office locations, and has a staff of over 200 employees including training and litigation staff with extensive experience. Our 36 county service area includes rural communities, suburban areas, and mid-size urban cities which necessitates the development of diverse strategies and we encourage our staff to cultivate and utilize creative approaches to reach and serve our client population. Employees of PSLS benefit from the expertise and community connections of their local office staff along with robust program-wide resources. We strive to provide an array of services responsive to the needs of our clients. PSLS has excellent fiscal controls and upholds the highest rating from Charity Navigator and Guidestar. For more information regarding PSLS services and operations, please visit our website at www.pslegal.org.
- Candidates currently admitted to the practice of law in the State of Illinois, or admitted in another state and eligible for reciprocity in Illinois are preferred. Consideration will be given to recent law graduates that will be sitting for the next bar exam.
- Experience with trial advocacy and negotiation strongly preferred
- Excellent oral/written communication, research skills, and computer competency
- Organizational and case management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for serving disadvantaged populations, knowledge of poverty law, and experience providing services to low-income individuals preferred
- Some travel is necessary; valid driver's license and/or reliable transportation is required
Please indicate “Rockford Housing Stability Staff Attorney” in the subject line and email a letter explaining your interest and experience, resume, three references, and a short writing sample (no more than 10 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resumes accepted until positions are filled.
Prairie State Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, expression, or presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.