Staff Attorney (Housing Stability)
New Mexico Legal Aid (NMLA) provides civil legal services to low income New Mexicans for a variety of legal issues including domestic violence/family law, consumer protection, housing, and benefits. NMLA has locations throughout the state including Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Las Cruces, Gallup, Roswell, Silver City, Clovis, Hobbs, Las Vegas, Taos, and Santa Ana.
For this position, the staff attorney will handle issue for eligible clients such as:
- Eviction prevention
- Eviction diversion
- Reasonable accommodations
- Subsidized housing
- Low Income housing Tax Credit
- Other housing related work
The work will include:
- Advising clients.
- Helping them prepare paperwork.
- Representing clients in court and in administrative proceedings.
- Conducting community education and outreach to eligible clients and community organizations as necessary.
The attorney position will be based out of NMLA’s Albuquerque office and will be part of a statewide project by the State of New Mexico funded with Emergency Rent Assistance funds to promote housing in the wake of the pandemic.
Work from home options are available during COVID and the office recognizes the importance of COVID safety measures.
NMLA offers a very collaborative environment and support for less experienced attorneys. NMLA handles a wide range of creative, challenging and complex work. We are looking for highly motivated candidates who are passionate about and strongly committed to helping NMLA better serve our client communities.
NMLA employees enjoy:
- Being unionized
- A great work environment
- Great benefits including generous leave
- Competitive salary
- Two years' experience as a licensed attorney preferred, but exceptional entry-level candidates will be considered.
- Admission to practice in New Mexico required.
- Must be able to effectively use computer technology and remote communications systems, including shared on-line workspaces, web meetings and videoconferencing. software, to effectively collaborate and co-counsel with staff located in multiple offices.
- Familiarity with Office365 is a plus.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and manage a caseload.
- Able to build a collaborative relationships with the staff in multiple offices and the community.
Applicants will be subject to a background check. Please do not let this deter you from applying. NMLA is committed to a strong workforce and recognizes that persons with marks on their record may still be able to perform admirably.
Provide a current resume, three references, and a letter of interest explaining what you would like to accomplish if you are selected for this position by clicking here to apply.
Salary: DOE, NMLA is an EEO Employer. Application Deadline: Until filled. Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis.