Staff Attorney, Housing Specialist (Multiple Locations)
WHO WE ARE: California Rural Legal Assistance, Inc. (CRLA) is a nonprofit legal services program founded in 1966 to assist low-income individuals in rural communities. Over 50 years later, CRLA is one of the largest legal aid organizations in California, utilizing its 19 field offices and a nearly $15 million annual budget to provide more than 43,000 low-income Californians with free legal assistance, community education, and outreach programs. CRLA’s mission, “To fight for justice and individual rights alongside the most exploited communities in our society,” has driven the development of innovative programming for vulnerable communities, including farmworkers, children, migrants, indigenous communities, and the LGBT community.
Position: Staff Attorney
Experience: 0-3 Years Experience
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Available Location(s): San Luis Obispo; Modesto; Santa Maria, CA
Term of Employment: Temporary (Long Term ending June 30, 2021), Full-Time
Other: FLSA Exempt, Union Position
Reporting to the Directing Attorney, the Staff Attorney provides comprehensive legal services to eligible clients in CRLA priority areas in accordance with CRLA program guidelines, the ABA Standards for Providers of Civil Legal Services and the Code of Professional Responsibility.
Provide legal services (advice, negotiation, litigation & administrative advocacy) to low-income clients in housing matters, including but not limited to:
- Unlawful detainers;
- Landlord/Tenant disputes;
- Public Housing administrative matters;
- Assist callers with housing matters via a multi-office legal advice hotline.
- Review/supervise the work product of Community Workers and Support Staff relating to all clients being advised or represented in housing matters.
- Develop leadership in working with the community, clients and other advocacy groups related to housing impact issues.
- Participate in training, case reviews, staff meetings and other CRLA activities.
- Prepare and provide community education regarding housing legal rights.
- Collaborate with members of the private bar as necessary.
- Maintain contemporaneous time records in case management system.
- Enter and maintain client records in an electronic case management system.
- Maintain great working relationship with all staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Admitted to practice law before the court of any state.
- Admitted to practice law in the State of CA or willingness to take the next CA Bar Exam.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with low income clients.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Able to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Good people skills, empathy, patience, and the ability to maintain positive relations with a diverse population.
- Bilingual Fluency preferred
Preferred Education and Experience
A highly qualified and desirable candidate would also have the following:
- Experience working with low-income families and communities.
- Experience in a non-profit legal services environment.
- Prior experience in legal services and additional language ability relevant.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Competitive public interest union salary scale, generous healthcare benefits package (Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance) and 401K retirement plan with employer contribution, loan reimbursement, sick and vacation pay, and 13 employer-paid holidays.
California Rural Legal Assistance thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.