Staff Attorney, Housing Specialist (Modesto)
Position: Staff Attorney
Experience: 0-3 Years Experience
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Available Location(s): Modesto
Term of Employment: Temporary, Long Term (Ending June 30, 2021), Full-Time
Other: FLSA Exempt, Union Position
Reporting to the Directing Attorney, the Staff Attorney provides comprehensive legal services to eligible clients in CRLA priority areas in accordance with CRLA program guidelines, the ABA Standards for Providers of Civil Legal Services and the Code of Professional Responsibility.RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide legal services (advice, negotiation, litigation & administrative advocacy) to low-income clients in housing matters, including but not limited to:
- Unlawful detainers;
- Landlord/Tenant disputes;
- Public Housing administrative matters;
- Review/supervise the work product of Community Workers and Support Staff relating to all clients being advised or represented in housing matters.
- Develop leadership in working with the community, clients and other advocacy groups related to housing impact issues.
- Participate in training programs, case reviews, staff meetings and other CRLA activities.
- Prepare and provide community education regarding housing legal rights.
- Collaborate with members of the private bar as necessary.
- Maintain contemporaneous time records in case management system.
- Maintain great working relationship with all staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & QUALITIES of our ideal candidate: We intend to bring a candidate with as many of the following qualifications and qualities as possible:
Required Education and Experience
- Admitted to practice law before the court of any state.
- Admitted to practice law in the State of CA or willingness to take the next CA Bar Exam.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with low income clients.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Able to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Good people skills and the ability to maintain positive relations with a diverse population.
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) Fluency
Preferred Education and Experience
A highly qualified and desirable candidate would also have the following:
- Experience working with low-income families and communities.
- Experience in a non-profit legal services environment.
- Prior experience in legal services and additional language ability relevant.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Based on work experience and qualifications; generous benefits package includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance, and 401K retirement plan contribution. Fourteen (14) paid Holidays, generous vacation and sick leave policy.
California Rural Legal Assistance thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.
Please use link below to apply:
OR Email Resume and Cover Letter to email@example.com