Staff Attorney (Housing Justice Program)
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
The Housing Justice Project Staff Attorney provides effective and efficient representation of clients on housing issues. These responsibilities are associated with work done under Legal Aid’s housing priority and housing legal program advocacy plan. This work may include legal issues in the following areas: landlord/tenant; access to housing; longer-term housing recovery issues associated with affordability, ownership, and resiliency; housing benefits; and community and housing redevelopment options. This work will include addressing barriers to community housing development efforts, and helping low-income Nebraskans participate in development of more rehabilitated and new low-income housing. This work is done in coordination with and as part of the Housing Justice Project team of Legal Aid attorneys across Nebraska, providing a full range of legal services.
Training on specific legal issues will be provided.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
Handles a case load: evaluates potential cases to determine acceptance and extent of representation; identifies and gathers other information to assist in determining case acceptance; formulates legal opinions and recommendations based on investigation, interviews and legal research; represents clients in all aspects of their cases, including, but not limited to preparation of pleadings, research, discovery, negotiations, settlement, litigation and appeal, if appropriate and approved; educates clients regarding their legal options and the consequences of each, as well as processes and procedures involved in representing the clients' interests.
Assists in community outreach efforts.
Follows the procedures laid out in LAN's Advocates' Manual.
Maintains knowledge of the current developments in the various substantive areas of law as they affect LAN's clients and the client community, in which the individual Staff Attorney practices.
Correctly applies and complies with LAN policies, procedures and mission statement and assists in implementing firm goals.
Complies with LSC Regulations and record keeping in all the cases the individual Staff Attorney handles and activities in which the individual Staff Attorney is involved.
Performs such other duties as are assigned by Supervising Attorney or management.
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Nebraska and member in good standing in Nebraska Bar Association.
Desired Abilities & Qualifications:
- Ability to communicate in a language other than English spoken by significant numbers of clients.
- Relevant experience in poverty law, with a legal aid program, or serving the client community in a way related to legal services.
- Required Abilities & Qualifications:
- Admitted to and in good standing with the Nebraska State Bar (or admission imminent.)
- Present ability (or willingness to develop) to manage a typical LAN caseload involving significant litigation.
- A commitment to provide legal services to the low-income citizens of Nebraska.
- Awareness of the legal problems and needs of low-income Nebraskans.
- Ability to communicate with persons in the client community.
- Ability to work effectively with other members of the firm.
- Willingness to participate in the local bar and community.