Staff Attorney (Housing Justice)
This a full-time community-lawyer position that will provide legal representation to the client community, by focusing on access to justice in housing law. The attorney will work closely with other LSNV Housing Attorneys, the Housing Chair, and the Deputy Director of Advocacy to plan and implement outreach and community legal education for tenants throughout Northern Virginia, who are facing eviction due to the impacts of COVID-19. This position is funded by a grant of at least two years and will be based in our Loudoun office.
- Handles housing-related legal matters for clients whenever necessary
Assists in developing and participating in legal outreach and community legal education projects and programs
- Collaborates with tenants, community groups, organizations, landlords and local government
- Assists with Pro-Bono coordination within jurisdiction, to include recruitment, mentoring of attorneys, development of materials, and other projects like conciliation
Conducts courthouse outreach
- Creates, revises, and mails outreach literature
Responsible for any LSC and/or LSCV grant reporting initiatives that may be required
- Prepares reports of eviction cases
- Coordinates and assists with the completing of rental assistance applications
- Handles cases, completes legal research and writing, drafts court documents, represents clients in housing hearings and litigation
- Must be licensed with the Virginia State Bar, or be in the process of being waived in
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, racial justice, and/or public interest work, preferred
- Proven experience in community engagement and advocacy
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Availability for flexible work schedule, commitment to evenings and weekends, preferred
- Strong litigation experience, preferred
- Legal aid experience, strongly preferred
- Fluent in Spanish (verbal and written), preferred
Travel: Local travel is required
Cover letters and resumes are reviewed upon receipt and well-qualified applicants will be invited to interview. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, at which time, the job announcement will be removed from our website at www.lsnv.org. To apply, please email your resume and cover letter detailing interest in the position to Ashley McGlawn, HR Manager at email@example.com.
LSNV is committed to creating a safe, welcoming, and diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expressions, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, marital status, or veteran status.