Staff Attorney (HELP Project)
To provide effective and efficient representation to clients and staff on site hours at hospitals and federally qualified health centers contracted under Legal Aid of Nebraska’s HELP Project.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Handles a caseload: evaluates potential cases to determine acceptance and extent of representation; identifies and father other information to assist in determining case acceptance; formulates legal opinions and recommendations based on investigation, interview and legal research; represents clients in all aspects of their cases, including, but not limited to preparation of pleadings, research, discovery, negotiations, settlement, litigation and appeal, if appropriate and approved, educates clients regarding their legal options and consequences of each, as well as processes and procedures involved in representing the client’s interests.
• Staffs on-site hours at hospitals contracted under Legal Aid of Nebraska’s HELP Project as assigned by the Managing Attorney.
• Assists in community outreach efforts including presenting to support groups, medical professionals, and other staff as occasionally requested by the medical facilities or required by contract or grant.
• Complies with contractually mandated credentialing requirements, including but not limited to, training required by each medical facility; proof of immunizations; mandatory drug testing; criminal background checks and any other requirements that may become part of contractual obligations under the HELP Project.
• Maintains knowledge of the current developments in the various substantive areas of law as they affect Legal Aid’s clients and the client community in which the individual attorney practices.
• Correctly applies and complies with policies, procedures, and mission statement and assists in implementing firm goals.
• Complies with LSC Regulations and records keeping in all the cases the individual Associate Attorney handles and activities in which the individual Associate Attorney is involved.
• Performs other duties as assigned by Supervising Attorney
Successful applicants will have good research, writing, litigation and communication skills. We are looking for an attorney to provide legal services to hospital patients that include but are not limited to: completion of health care and other decision-making delegation forms; assistance with applying for or maintaining state and federal public benefits; assistance related to social and environmental legal issues such as violence prevention, domestic violence and lead poisoning and simple wills. Must be admitted to Nebraska bar or out-of-state bar with pending waiver application to Nebraska bar.