Staff Attorney (Family Law)
Bay Area Legal Services (Bay Area) is a regional, non-profit public interest law firm providing the highest quality legal counsel and representation by:
- Assisting individuals and non-profit groups with limited access to legal services;
- Resolving the legal problems of clients; and
- Preserving the independence, hope and dignity of those we serve.
Position Title: Staff Attorney (Full-time) Location: Tampa
Position Description: This position with the Family Law Team is funded under a Legal Assistance for Victims grant, administered by the Office on violence Against Women, U.S. Dept. of Justice. The attorney in this position will have a caseload and provide legal representation to individuals who have been victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking. The attorney will work with a team of approximately seven other attorneys, an accredited immigration representative, and support staff, and will be expected to handle a caseload of family court and immigration cases.
Applicants seeking employment with us should understand and share our commitment to the BALS mission and vision, and be willing to abide by the five core values of Bay Area Legal Services.
- Interviewing clients, some of whom have limited English proficiency, identifying available family court and immigration remedies, and providing legal advice
- Providing representation for domestic violence victims, primarily in family court proceedings involving divorce, paternity, parental time-sharing, support, and property distribution, and other legal matters, including immigration
- Compliance with grant requirements
- Other duties as assigned
- Starting salary $57,500.00/yr. (increases based upon relevant experience)
- Excellent benefits including annual and sick leave, reimbursement for mileage for work related events, continuing education and professional licensure renewal paid, and potentially eligible for student loan forgiveness programs.
- Juris Doctorate (JD), Florida Bar licensed and in good standing with the Bar
- At least two years’ of relevant experience as a practicing attorney
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to effectively communicate with clients and the legal community
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Knowledge of substantive and procedural family law
- Self -motivated and goal oriented
- Some experience in family law and immigration practice
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
How to Apply:
- Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and state how you learned about the position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.