Staff Attorney (Elder Law Program)
Elder Law Program
In person/remote hybrid work option available
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc. (“Legal Services”) is a nonprofit law firm providing free high-quality civil legal services to low income and elderly clients. We are seeking a full-time Staff Attorney to work within our Consumer program serving the needs of elderly clients. The Staff Attorney’s work:
- Will be focused on solving problems common to elder / senior citizens, and especially those problems that involve obtaining a monetary benefit or avoiding monetary or housing losses.
- Primarily involves low-income senior households and individuals (60+ years old) living in St. Louis City.
- Includes providing direct representation of clients in state court and occasional federal civil litigation and administrative hearings.
- May include projects that provide systemic advocacy on issues adversely affecting the health and well-being of low-income seniors (i.e. utility issues, benefits, and similar issues).
- Involves a variety of community outreach, education, and training for seniors, social service agencies and partners, and health care providers about the many legal issues that impact senior populations.
- All aspects of litigation, including, drafting pleadings, discovery, motion practice, trial preparation and trials, and administrative hearings in substantive areas of civil law, particularly consumer and housing law.
- Some estate planning work is likely, including drafting simple wills, durable powers of attorney, and beneficiary deeds as needed.
- Conducting community outreach and presentations
- Working collaboratively with other Legal Services programs and community partners serving seniors
- Supervising law student interns
- Drafting grant reports and contributing to grant applications for additional elder law grant funding
Salary & Benefits Information:
The salary range for this position is $60,000-$90,000. Specific salary offered to a candidate will be based on their years of experience. Excellent benefits including a generous time off policy, 403(b) and 401(a) retirement plans, employee assistance plan, flexible spending account, medical, dental and vision insurance.
- JD in good standing, and admitted to practice in Missouri (or eligible to be admitted)
- 2 or more years of experience as a practicing attorney and/or experience with seniors is helpful, but definitely not required. New graduates may apply.
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law work or to legal services for persons living with low-income is strongly preferred
- Strong litigation and advocacy skills or willingness to learn these skills
- Ability to relate well and work with low-income clients and collaborate with community stakeholders
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office, familiarity with legal case management software preferred
- Team oriented, and highly flexible to meet the needs of clients
- Open to creative and innovative ways of fulfilling the legal aid mission
How to Apply:
Upload your resume and cover letter through our online application at https://jobapply.page.link/AQp6n. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered until position is filled. At Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, we value diversity, equity, inclusion, and mutual respect. We encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ+, people of all abilities, and those who have been historically disadvantaged to apply. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that represents our community and to be an inclusive environment for all employees. Equal access to Legal Services of Eastern Missouri’s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact Human Resources at the e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Legal Services of Eastern Missouri is an equal opportunity employer.