Staff Attorney (Disaster Relief Project)
New Mexico Legal Aid seeks (2) staff attorneys for the Disaster Relief Project in Northern New Mexico.
New Mexico Legal Aid (NMLA) provides civil legal services to low income New Mexicans for a variety of legal issues including domestic violence/family law, consumer protection, housing, and benefits. NMLA has locations throughout the state including Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Las Cruces, Gallup, Roswell, Silver City, Clovis, Hobbs, Las Vegas, Taos, and Santa Ana.
For this position, the staff attorney will support the delivery of legal services to low-income New Mexicans in the federally declared disaster areas of Northern New Mexico impacted by the wildfires, flooding, mudflows and straight-line winds that the state faced in 2022.
The attorney will be responsible for handling cases that affect disaster victims such as:
- FEMA cases
- Interpersonal violence
- Predatory scams
- Experience as practicing attorney;
- Experience working with disaster relief legal issues preferred.
- Admission to practice in New Mexico required or ability to qualify for a limited license.
- Must be willing and able to travel.
- Must be able to effectively use computer technology and remote communications systems, including shared on-line workspaces and web meeting and video conferencing software, to effectively collaborate and co-counsel with staff located in multiple offices.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, manage a caseload and build collaborative relationships within the staff and the community.
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus.
Applicants will be subject to a background search. Please do not let this deter you from applying. NMLA is committed to a strong workforce and recognizes that persons with marks on their record may qualify.