Staff Attorney (Consumer Law Program)
In person/remote hybrid work option available during 2022.
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc. (LSEM), a nonprofit law firm providing free, quality civil legal services, seeks a full-time Staff Attorney for its Consumer Law Program. The Staff Attorney primarily will work with eligible clients to provide quality legal representation in state court civil proceedings. The Staff Attorney will work on a variety of consumer litigation cases, including:
- Tenant’s rights litigation, such as tenant litigation against abusive and neglectful landlords and tenant eviction defense;
- Consumer debt-defense litigation and counterclaims;
- Consumer fraud, deception, and abuse cases;
- Modifying or defending against improper consumer judgments and executions of judgments.
Not all cases assigned to this attorney will result in litigation work. Many cases will require consumer counseling and advice, or relatively brief services such as assisting clients with credit reports or identity theft, managing student loan debt and debt collector harassment, and various other consumer-lending issues. In addition to handling a steady load of priority cases, the Staff Attorney will be encouraged to identify and participate in systemic advocacy through impact litigation in state and federal courts. Further, the Staff Attorney will perform community lawyering and outreach, as well as other forms of broad-based advocacy.
- Conducting client interviews, investigation, and fact gathering
- All aspects of litigation, including, drafting pleadings, discovery, motion practice, trial preparation and trials
- Conducting legal research and analysis
- Participating in community outreach and presentations
- Working collaboratively with other Legal Services programs and community partners
- Supervising law student interns
Who we are:
LSEM advances justice through legal representation, education, and supportive services. We partner with the community to improve lives, promote fairness and create opportunities for those in need. Since 1956, LSEM has provided high-quality civil legal assistance and equal access to justice for low-income people in 21 counties in Missouri. We accomplish our mission through systemic advocacy/impact litigation and individual case work in a wide range of substantive civil areas which are in our priorities, e.g., family law for victims of domestic violence, prevention of homelessness/housing, health, public benefits, consumer, education, disability, community economic development, and immigration. As part of our community education/outreach efforts, LSEM works with over 150 agencies and participates in over 35 task forces/coalitions and has a vibrant Volunteer Lawyers Program.
Salary & Benefits Information:
The salary range for this position is $51,500-77,250. Specific salary offered to a candidate will be based on their experience. Excellent benefits including a generous time off policy, 403(b) and 401(a) retirement plans, employee assistance plan, flexible spending account, medical, dental and vision insurance.
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered until position is filled.
Equal access to LSEM’s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact Human Resources at the e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. LSEM is an equal opportunity employer.
- JD and admitted to practice in Missouri (or eligible to be admitted)
- Strong advocacy skills
- Ability to relate well and work with low-income clients and collaborate with community stakeholders
- Strong communication skills, work ethic, flexibility and teamwork
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office
- Open to creative and innovative ways of fulfilling the legal aid mission
How to Apply:
Upload your resume and cover letter through our https://jobapply.page.link/TBbBS . Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.