Staff Attorney (Bilingual Immigration)
Bilingual Immigration Staff Attorney
Hybrid remote work schedule available: 3 days in office/field and 2 days remote
Base office locations in Asheville, Brevard, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Highlands-Cashiers, Marshall, Newland, and Rutherfordton
Position Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) is a community-based non-profit legal aid agency governed by a local Board of Directors. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC), Pisgah Legal Services provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in WNC. The organization currently has offices in Asheville, Brevard, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Highlands-Cashiers, Marshall, Newland, and Rutherfordton. With over 100 dedicated staff, including over 30 attorneys plus program staff, and an active group of 300 volunteer attorneys, the program provides free services to nearly 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
PLS seeks a full-time Bilingual Immigration Attorney for our Justice For All Program (JFAP). This position will work closely with the other JFAP immigration attorneys and provide additional support to serve the needs of the immigrant community. This position will also work closely with the Domestic and Sexual Violence Prevention Program (DSVPP). JFAP serves the 18 westernmost North Carolina counties by providing direct legal assistance to eligible immigrants and their children, helping them secure legal immigration status and/or work authorization, and meet their basic needs. The DSVPP helps survivors of domestic violence escape domestic violence and live independent of their abusers and strives to provide holistic services to clients including at and beyond the initial protective order. Position is based from any of our office locations in Asheville, Brevard, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Highlands-Cashiers, Marshall, Newland, and Rutherfordton.
Passion for promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, being a creative and zealous staff member and a team-player, and a demonstrated commitment to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities are all important. By ensuring that the lowest-income people in Western North Carolina have access to holistic services we will increase opportunities for positive outcomes at the individual and community levels.
· Commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
· Provide direct immigration legal services and representation to immigrants before USCIS, EOIR, BIA, District Court, and other administrative and judicial forums as necessary. (This may include representation, preparation for self-representation, obtaining continuances for assessment, and referring cases to other attorneys).
· Conduct client interviews with a trauma-informed approach.
· Document all work in Legal Server case management software.
· Organize and conduct outreach and educational presentations.
· Develop and maintain community relationships including other non-profit agencies, government officials, government employees, community leaders and others.
· Travel within our service area and also to meetings or conferences in other parts of NC.
· Adhere to program priorities and case handling policies, procedures and standards of practice, as well as the highest professional and ethical standards.
· Keep abreast of developments in the law and disseminate information to staff, volunteer attorneys and the public.
· Work with volunteers, including volunteer attorneys, on a regular basis.
· Assist in fundraising in coordination with PLS Development Team.
Salary ranges from $51,819 – $98,297 depending on experience. Relocation assistance for up to $2,000 for out-of-state candidates will be considered.
Our salary scale is predetermined based on the years of relative professional work experience that qualify for this position to ensure equity in pay.
Employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage the 1st of the month following the hire date. Pisgah Legal Services Pays (PLS) 100% of the Employee and 50% of the Dependent Cost for BCBS Medical and Dental coverage. PLS 50% of the Employee Coverage Cost for BCBS Vision coverage. PLS Pays 100% of Long-Term & Short-Term Disability Coverage, Life Insurance Coverage of 5x base salary + an additional $15,000 Life & AD&D Coverage. 401k Retirement Plan after 6 months of employment. Additional Fringe Benefits includes Pet Insurance, Paid Parental Leave, 12.5 Company Holidays, 22 Paid Leave Days, Paid Sabbatical Leave for eligible staff, Employee Assistance Program for entire household and a great working environment with work life balance!
COVID-19 Safety Information
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Pisgah Legal Services has worked tirelessly to promote evidence-based practices across our entire organization. With this in mind, as of January 4, 2022, all Pisgah employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccine. Employees who are unvaccinated or have an approved exemption will be required to provide verified weekly COVID-19 test results. We currently have COVID-19 safety precautions in place.
· Licensed attorney in the United States (licensed in NC preferred but not required).
· Immigration law experience preferred, but not required.
· Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people and communities.
· Demonstrated socio-economic and cultural sensitivity.
· Willingness to regularly assist upset or ill people.
· Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
· Fluency in English and Spanish (verbal & written) required, with ability to interpret and translate from English to Spanish and from Spanish to English.
· Possess a valid driver’s license.
Submit your online application with resume and cover letter through our Career Center located at https://www.pisgahlegal.org/jobs
PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with our Human Resources department.