Mission and Vision: Legal Aid of North Carolina is a statewide, nonprofit law firm that provides free legal services in civil matters to low-income people to ensure equal access to justice and to remove legal barriers to economic opportunity. Legal Aid is an innovative, creative, progressive, and efficient civil legal service provider to the poor, working towards an inclusive justice system of equal access. All voices are valued, heard, and respected.
Why Join Legal Aid? Are you committed to the idea that all people deserve access to justice in our legal system? Do you want to use your talents to do deeply meaningful work, serve those experiencing poverty and work with a respected and impactful organization?
Legal Aid of North Carolina is the only statewide legal services organization serving low-income people in all 100 counties. It is the third largest law firm in North Carolina, employing 250 lawyers, 525 staff and serving over 40,000 people each year. It has offices located in 23 counties throughout the state.
In addition to providing direct legal services, Legal Aid assists thousands of people every year in enrolling in health insurance coverage and provides other critical needs to those experiencing poverty.
Legal Aid lawyers and staff work closely with clients, devising strategies and pursuing legal remedies that help clients obtain successful outcomes. Many lawyers gain significant courtroom experience, trying cases, arguing motions and even pursuing appeals in North Carolina’s appellate court. Other lawyers, paralegals and staff handle transactional matters, for example by helping seniors with wills and other advanced directives. In whatever capacity you choose to join us, we can promise that Legal Aid delivers a life changing experience, both for you and for your clients.
Position Summary: Legal Aid seeks a full-time Staff Attorney to work in the High Country (Boone) Office, which provides free legal assistance in civil matters to low-income clients in Watauga, Avery, Mitchell, Yancey, Wilkes, Ashe, and Alleghany counties. The selected applicant will be trained and practice in multiple areas of law, including housing, public benefits, consumer, family (domestic violence and custody), education and employment matters.
Job Description: The Staff Attorney will:
- Provide direct legal services to clients in a variety of practice areas.
- Interview clients and identify their legal problems.
- Devise strategies for resolving client legal matters.
- Represent clients in courtroom hearings.
- Write and argue motions.
- Draft pleadings and other legal papers.
- Draft and engage in discovery.
- Provide community education and outreach in impacted communities.
- Represent Legal Aid in the community served by engaging with the legal community through outreach.
- Have opportunities for participation and leadership in the North Carolina Bar Association and other local bar associations.
Qualifications: Candidates applying for this position should have the following qualifications:
- A passion to serve low-income clients.
- A commitment to the mission and values of Legal Aid of North Carolina.
- A commitment to, appreciation for and understanding of organizational values around diversity, equity and inclusion.
- A juris doctorate and a license to practice law in the State of North Carolina.
- Good communication skills.
- Strong writing skills
- Prior legal services experience is a plus.
- No pending North Carolina State Bar disciplinary proceedings.
Are you the next Staff Attorney in our High Country Office? To apply for this position, submit a cover letter, resume, references and any other materials that you wish to be considered to the Managing Attorney of the High Country Office, Jonathan Perry, at jonathanp at legalaidnc.org.