Staff Attorney - Atlantic City
South Jersey Legal Services, Inc. is seeking qualified candidates to fill an available position as Staff Attorney in our office as listed above. Under the direction of the Managing Attorney, the Staff Attorney provides the highest quality of legal services to SJLS clients in a variety of poverty law matters. The Staff Attorney also acts as a liaison between SJLS and the local community groups and engages in community outreach, community legal education.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Handle intake interviews;
- Provide direct representation to clients in a variety of legal matters, including but not limited to family, landlord/tenant, housing, consumer, public benefits, healthcare, employment and senior issues;
- Participate in group representation, where appropriate;
- Participate in staff and case acceptance meetings and program wide working groups;
- Work with the Managing Attorney, Director of Litigation and/or the Executive Director in planning, developing and litigating significant impact cases;
- Participate in community outreach and community legal education, clinics and seminars;
- Develop new ideas and methods to provide service to clients;
- Work with other staff as an effective member of the team;
- Assist in supervising paralegals, clerical workers and students;
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EDUCATION:
- Admission to the Bar of New Jersey preferred but not required. Must be a member of the Bar in any State and/or be eligible and willing to take the next available New Jersey Bar Exam;
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred;
- Ability to relate to low income clients and groups with demonstrated interest in poverty law issues and/or public interest service.
Qualified applicants with an interest in this position should send resume and cover letter expressing interest to: Brittani Morris, PHR, SHRM-CP, Director of Operations, South Jersey Legal Services, Inc. 745 Market St. 2nd Floor, Camden, NJ 08102 or via email at BMorris@lsnj.org. EOE/AA Employer.