Staff Attorney (5 Openings)
For over 50 years, LAF has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our attorneys, volunteers, and staff help resolve legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. In addition to representing individuals in court and administrative hearings, we run community legal clinics, provide know-your-rights workshops, and work with community-based organizations to address emerging issues as well as persistent problems that affect low-income families. Our work affects about 30,000 people each year. At LAF we are actively engaged in dialogue regarding how legal services organizations can contribute to and further racial justice for low income communities. Case handlers work in one of five practice groups: Consumer, Children and Families, Housing, Immigrants and Workers’ Rights, and Public Benefits.
LAF seeks five full-time staff attorneys to begin October 1, 2019.
Applicants must be willing to work in any of the above practice groups. Ultimate placements will be assigned based upon practice group need and considering the interests, skills, and experience of the applicant.
Responsibilities without limitation
• Manage an individual caseload and provide full and effective legal representation to individuals and/or groups
• Maintain and grow knowledge in a specialized area of law, and competence in related areas of law
• Interview eligible clients and groups and assess their legal problems
• Provide appropriate advice and referrals
• Participate in complex litigation or advocacy to address system issues
• Work collaboratively with LAF staff, students and volunteers to provide comprehensive legal services
• Conduct community education and outreach and build relationships with community partners in poverty fighting efforts
• Participate in training to agencies, advocates, clients, or community groups about legal services and rights impacting low income persons
• Participate in other activities related to poverty law including publication, permissible legislative and administrative advocacy, media relations, and fundraising
Applicants must have a J.D. degree and be a member of the Illinois bar or have taken the Illinois bar by July 2019. The successful applicant will be collegial, well-organized, and demonstrate a commitment to and experience in working with people living in poverty. Applicants must have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well under pressure. Bilingual speakers preferred.
Salary Dependent on qualifications and experience level. LAF offers generous fringe benefits.
To apply Send resume, cover letter, transcript, writing sample, and the names and contact information of two professional references, to email@example.com. Put the phrase “Staff Attorney – LAF” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls, please. The deadline for applications is January 31, 2019. The position(s) will remain open until filled. LAF values diversity, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of disability.