WHO WE ARE: For over 50 years, CCLS has been representing and advocating for low-income individuals in Merced, Tuolumne, Mariposa, Fresno, Tulare, and Kings Counties—a region where intense poverty exists side by side with unparalleled wealth and abundance. Our mission is to provide high quality, no-cost civil legal services to low income individuals, families, and communities—improving the wellbeing of our Valley through systems-changing advocacy, client education, and legal work that meets individual clients’ immediate needs. We also work closely with agencies and community organizations that share our commitment to support our clients in being their own agents of change.
POSITION DETAILS: CCLS seeks dedicated staff attorneys to provide high-quality legal services, from advice and brief services to full representation. Candidates will be considered for opportunities in all legal practice areas, including Senior/Consumer Law, Housing Law, Health Law, Family Law, and with our Legal Advice Line.
Position: Staff Attorney
Experience: All Experience Welcome, Spanish or Hmong Fluency Strongly Preferred
Location: Fresno, Visalia, and Merced Offices (as needed)
Term of Employment: Full Time, Regular
Other: FLSA Exempt, Union position
Salary Range DOE: $62,400 - $91,404
● Work with CCLS advocates to ensure delivery of high-quality legal representation to clients consistent with CCLS program priorities;
● Develop and maintain relationships with client groups and community-based service providers, and work with them to identify community lawyering opportunities;
● Identify and analyze systemic issues through individual and impact casework;
● Participate in planning and strategy meetings with project partners and statewide networks of Legal Aid advocates;
● Participate in weekly CCLS case review meetings, stay current on changes in the law, including continuing legal education, and adhere to CCLS policies and procedures;
● Other duties as assigned.
CCLS BENEFITS OVERVIEW:
· 7.5 hour work day / 37.5 hour week
· 14.5 Paid Holidays
· Free wellness counseling & resources
· Union protection for applicable positions
Rewards for Dedication
· Annual pay increases
· Overtime for Hourly/Non-exempt staff
· Compensatory Time for Salaried/Exempt staff
More than Base Pay
· School Loan Assistance up to $500/month
· Bilingual Pay up to $90/month
· Home internet reimbursement of $25/month
· CCLS issued laptop & cell phone
· CA State Bar dues paid in full
· Mileage reimbursement
· CCLS contributes to staff 403(b) plans starting at the one-year anniversary:
o Year 1 to 2 – 1% of salary contributed
o Year 2 to 3 – 2% of salary contributed
o Year 3 to 4 – 3% of salary contributed
o Year 4 to 5 – 4% of salary contributed
o Year 5+ - 5% of salary contributed
Group Health Insurance
· Coverage begins 1st of the month following hire date
· CCLS pays 100% for staff health insurance coverage
· CCLS pays 67% of staff dependent health insurance coverage
· Low-Cost Plans for:
o Dental PPO & Vision Insurance
o Long term disability & life insurance
o Workers Compensation coverage
Cash Out Options
· Vacation Cash Out:
o Accrued vacation cashed out & added to paycheck upon request
· Compensatory Time Cash Out (Exempt Staff):
o Accrued comp time cashed out & added to paycheck upon request
· Comp time over 75 hours paid out automatically
· Overtime Pay Out (Non-Exempt Staff):
o OT paid out within 30 days of accrual, per State standards
Computer Loan Fund
· Up to $1,500 interest free loan to assist staff with personal computer purchase
State Bar Exam Leave & Loan
· Leave provided for CA Bar Exam
· Interest-free loan for Bar Exam & study course fees
· Up to 8 weeks salary advance
● Member in good standing of the State Bar of California; or eligible to practice as a Provisionally Licensed Lawyer or Registered Legal Services Attorney;
● Experience working with low-income clients, collaborating effectively with diverse groups of individuals and organizations, and connecting and strategizing with local community leaders;
● Litigation and/or general courtroom experience is strongly preferred;
● Previous experience handling a legal caseload is preferred;
● Previous Legal Aid or other non-profit legal services experience desirable;
● Bilingual ability strongly preferred (Hmong/English or Spanish/English);
● Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, as well as strong legal research skills;
● Comfortable working with clients who have been subject to extremely emotional circumstances and high-pressure situations in a manner that balances compassion and advocacy;
● Proven ability to work well under pressure both individually and within a team;
● Ability to travel as needed, proof of liability and property insurance on vehicle used.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled;
Applications should be received by MONDAY, AUGUST 8, 2022 to be considered for the first round of interviews.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please visit https://www.centralcallegal.org/careers/ or click the link below to submit an online application and join our CCLS family to help us Advance Justice & Empower People.
· Online Application: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/458672/Central-California-Legal-Services-Inc/CCLS-Staff-Attorney
2. Cover Letter addressing the following questions:
a. Please tell us briefly about your experience, if any, doing advocacy work with a low-income community. What skills and qualities did you bring that were important to the effort? What did you learn?
b. Please describe your leadership experience, if any.
c. Tell us about your connection to the Central Valley: how well do you know it? Do you have ties here? What draws you here?
d. Do you have particular interest in being a Legal Aid lawyer? If so, please tell us about that.
3. Three Professional References
4. Legal Writing Sample