JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for providing civil legal assistance to eligible clients of the program and to be an integral part of the organization’s efforts to be a partner in the state justice community. Lawyer will focus on civil legal issues as they impact a person’s life.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform intake interviews for applicants and assists in screening of clients for eligibility for full representation for civil issues.
- Provide high quality legal assistance to eligible clients on matters pertaining to their situations and civil matters.
- Treat clients with respect and show true empathy.
- Maintain a caseload commensurate with abilities and caseload difficulty.
- Comply with all applicable regulations, policies and grant requirements.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards as a member of the State Bar and stay current with updates and changes to the law.
- Support, promote and participate in community education, outreach and developing good public relations with the client community and civil issues/rights.
- Ensure that all applicable client files, data and reports are accurate and complete.
- Demonstrate knowledge and expertise of the law and legal system.
- Embrace and support the Organization’s overall mission, standards, policies and procedures, and confidentiality guidelines.
Perform other duties and projects as required by management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills: able to work well with a wide range of people.
- Good coaching skills.
- Strong legal research skills
- Strong ability to prepare for and present evidence at trial.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrate dependability through good attendance and adherence to timelines and schedules.
- Good follow through.
- Good analytical skills.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate resourcefulness and ability to take initiative in development and completion of projects.
- Strong sense of customer service.
- Strong proficiency in pc applications.
- Able and willing to continue professional development.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- Juris Doctorate Degree from a certified law school.
- Oklahoma Bar membership or eligibility to take and pass next Oklahoma Bar examination.
This work is sedentary and requires the following physical activities:
- Sitting for long periods of time; occasional bending, squatting, kneeling, stooping; good finger dexterity and feeling; frequent repetitive motions; ability to speak and hear; or the ability to perform essential job functions with reasonable accommodation.
- Frequent lifting (up to 10 pounds of paper supplies or minor office equipment).
- Driving to client locations and other sites as needed.
To apply please complete an online general application at: