POSITION DETAILS: CCLS seeks dedicated staff attorneys to provide high-quality legal services, from advice and brief services to full representation. Candidates will be considered for opportunities in all legal practice areas, including Senior/Consumer Law, Housing Law, Health Law, Family Law, and with our Legal Advice Line.
Position: Staff Attorney
Experience: All Experience Welcome - Spanish or Hmong Fluency Strongly Preferred
Location: Fresno, Visalia, and Merced Offices (as needed) Term of Employment: Full Time, Regular
Other: FLSA Exempt, Union position
Salary Range DOE: $54,684 - $91,404
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled; Applications should be received by FRIDAY,
DECEMBER 3, 2021 to be considered for the next round of interviews.
● Work with CCLS advocates to ensure delivery of high-quality legal representation to clients consistent with CCLS program priorities;
● Develop and maintain relationships with client groups and community-based service providers, and work with them to identify community lawyering opportunities;
● Identify and analyze systemic issues through individual and impact casework;
● Participate in planning and strategy meetings with project partners and statewide networks of Legal Aid advocates;
● Participate in weekly CCLS case review meetings, stay current on changes in the law, including continuing legal education, and adhere to CCLS policies and procedures;
● Other duties as assigned.
CCLS BENEFITS OVERVIEW
7.5 hour work day / 37.5 hour week·
14.5 Paid Holidays·
Free wellness counseling & resources·
Union protection for applicable positions
Rewards for Dedication·
Annual pay increases·
Overtime for Hourly/Non-exempt staff·
Compensatory Time for Salaried/Exempt staff
More than Base Pay·
School Loan Assistance up to $500/month·
Bilingual Pay up to $90/month·
Home internet reimbursement of $25/month·
CCLS issued laptop & cell phone·
CA State Bar dues paid in full·
CCLS contributes to staff 403(b) plans starting at the one-year anniversary:
- Year 1 to 2 – 1% of salary contributed
- Year 2 to 3 – 2% of salary contributed
- Year 3 to 4 – 3% of salary contributed
- Year 4 to 5 – 4% of salary contributed Year 5+ - 5% of salary contributed
Group Health Insurance·
Coverage begins 1st of the month following hire date·
CCLS pays 100% for staff health insurance coverage·
CCLS pays 67% of staff dependent health insurance coverage·
Low-Cost Plans for:
- Dental PPO & Vision Insurance
- Long term disability & life insurance
- Workers Compensation coverage
Vacation Cash Out:
Accrued vacation cashed out & added to paycheck upon request·
Compensatory Time Cash Out (Exempt Staff):
Accrued comp time cashed out & added to paycheck upon request·
Comp time over 75 hours paid out automatically·
Overtime Pay-Out (Non-Exempt Staff):
OT paid out within 30 days of accrual, per State standards
Computer Loan Fund·
Up to $1,500 interest-free loan to assist staff with personal computer purchase
State Bar Exam Leave & Loan· Leave provided for CA Bar Exam·
Interest-free loan for Bar Exam & study course fees·
● Member in good standing of the State Bar of California; or eligible to practice as a Provisionally Licensed Lawyer or Registered Legal Services Attorney;
● Experience working with low-income clients, collaborating effectively with diverse groups of individuals and organizations, and connecting and strategizing with local community leaders;
● Litigation and/or general courtroom experience is strongly preferred;
● Previous experience handling a legal caseload is preferred;
● Previous Legal Aid or other non-profit legal services experience desirable;
● Bilingual ability strongly preferred (Hmong/English or Spanish/English);
● Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, as well as strong legal research skills;
● Comfortable working with clients who have been subject to extremely emotional circumstances and high-pressure situations in a manner that balances compassion and advocacy;
● Proven ability to work well under pressure both individually and within a team;
● Ability to travel as needed, proof of liability and property insurance on vehicle used.
Please visit https://www.centralcallegal.org/careers/ or click the link below to submit an online application and join our CCLS family to help us Advance Justice & Empower People.
- Online Application: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/458672/Central-California- Legal-Services-Inc/CCLS-Staff-Attorney
Cover Letter addressing the following questions:
- Please tell us briefly about your experience, if any, doing advocacy work with a low-income community. What skills and qualities did you bring that were important to the effort? What did you learn?
- Please describe your leadership experience, if any.
- Tell us about your connection to the Central Valley: how well do you know it? Do you have ties here? What draws you here?
- Do you have particular interest in being a Legal Aid lawyer? If so, please tell us about that.
- Three Professional References
- Legal Writing Sample