American Samoa Legal Aid, Inc. (ASLA) is seeking to employ a full-time attorney for our non-profit law firm that provides free civil legal services to low-income residents of American Samoa. The successful applicant should be willing to start employment at ASLA on August 2, 2021 or soon thereafter.
About the Position:
ASLA is interested in hiring an attorney preferably with experience in representing clients in civil matters. Experience in one or more of the following areas would be helpful: Family Law, Consumer Law, Home Foreclosure Defense, Debt Collection Defense, Administrative Law, Immigration, Domestic Violence, Social Security, Public Benefits, etc.
Salary and Benefits:
- Depends on experience, salary range for full-time attorney range starting at $50,000 per year, plus generous leave benefits and other benefits.
· Admitted or eligible for admission to practice law in American Samoa.
- Admitted or being admitted to legally reside in American Samoa for at least one year if from outside of American Samoa.
- Possess the highest ethical standards.
· Five years of experience as an attorney practicing law in American Samoa, U.S.A., Samoa, New Zealand or Australia.
· Familiarity with Legal Services Corporation regulations is preferable.
- Possess excellent communication skills. Ability to speak and write
both in English and Samoan will be favorably considered.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Familiarity with the PIKA case management system is preferable, but not required.
- Value diversity and be culturally competent.
- Ability to work well together with the Board, Executive Director and support staff to fulfill the ASLA mission and Strategic Plan action goals.
· Demonstrate a commitment to serve low-income residents.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Priority will be given to those submitting their applications on or before July 1, 2021. Interested candidates should submit a letter expressing why they are interested in the position of ASLA Staff Attorney as well as what they believe they can contribute to the future of the program and its client community. The letter should be accompanied by a current resume with the names and contact information of three references. Application letter and resume should be submitted electronically via email in Word format to Chuck Greenfield, ASLA Interim Executive Director, to Charleskgreenfield@gmail.com. ASLA is an equal opportunity employer.