Under the direction of the Managing Attorney of the Danville Office, the Martinsville Staff Attorney plans, organizes and carries out the delivery of legal services to VLAS individual and group clients in Martinsville/Henry County area who present problems with housing (eviction, foreclosure, conditions, and affordability) and related problems including public benefits, family, consumer lending, and other issues. The Attorney will primarily operate from a satellite location in Martinsville, Virginia following a training period in the Danville, Virginia office. All casework will include:
1. Preparation of client cases in state and federal courts and administrative agencies;
2. Representation of in appropriate forums;
3. Post-trial follow-up and/or closure of cases after resolution;
4. Related duties and assignments as required;
DUTIES: With reference to VLAS and ABA standards for the provision of civil legal aid, the Staff Attorney will:
1. Confirm client eligibility using standard VLAS eligibility guidelines.
2. Establish the initial facts surrounding each case;
- interview clients.
- collect data from other appropriate sources including agencies, doctors, lawyers, etc.
- visit appropriate agencies to check client files.
- prepare written fact summaries.
- maintain client files, documents, records and all other appropriate material to case according to VLAS procedures.
3. Prepare all aspects of the case for presentation before the appropriate forum:
- research statutes, case law, and administrative procedure applicable to the case.
- draft, revise and/or finalize all necessary case documents including pleadings, briefs, discovery, notices, motions, and appropriate correspondence.
- counsel clients; review case prior to hearings and trials.
In all proceedings, the Staff Attorney must have all pleadings, briefs, notices and motions reviewed by his or her Managing Attorney or another experienced attorney before filing.
4. Represent clients before appropriate forums including:
- pretrial negotiations or other proceedings.
- trials and hearings.
All hearings and trials in a court of record must be conducted with the Managing Attorney or other experienced attorney as co-counsel unless and until the Managing Attorney finds co-counseling to be unnecessary.
5. Prepare appeals where appropriate and represent clients in the appeals process before the appropriate forum, with the Managing Attorney or other experienced attorney as co-counsel.
6. Prepare all necessary memos, summary sheets, documents, and other appropriate correspondence for closing the case.
9. Attend training and task forces meetings relevant to his or her area of practice and Virginia MCLE requirements.
10. Provide outreach and community legal education services to the area low-income community.
11. Serve in VLAS practice groups and committees; assist in program priorities and procedures.
12. Assist the Managing Attorney in maintaining relations with local bar associations and other community groups and organizations.
13. Report to the Managing Attorney regularly and coordinate with the Managing Attorney on performance of all duties and responsibilities.
14. Perform all other related duties and assignments.
15. Complete activity reports for funding sources and timekeeping reports, as directed by the Managing Attorney.
To apply, send cover letter, resume and referecences to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.