Community Legal Aid is a private non-profit law firm which works to bridge the gap between poverty and justice for those in need. Legal Aid is the primary provider of free civil legal representation to low income and elderly residents of central northeast Ohio, concentrating its efforts on legal work that makes a difference in the lives of those it serves.
The Health Education Advocacy and Law Program (HEAL) at Legal Aid is a medical legal partnership that collaborates with healthcare providers to assist families with legal problems that potentially impact patient health.
- Provides comprehensive, high quality legal services to eligible clients in civil cases in accordance with organizational policies and the Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Creates an effective and efficient office environment to support the provision of high-quality legal services.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relations with client groups, community organizations and the state justice community.
- Pursues and maintains personal professional development and contributes to the professional development of others who serve clients and the client community.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Salary: $47,000+ DOE. Excellent working environment and benefit package.
- Admitted to the practice of law in Ohio.
- Excellent legal writing and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated interest in and sensitivity to the legal needs of the poor as well as motivation to improve the condition of the poor.
- Personal characteristics include; professional attitude, excellent persuasive and interpersonal skills, use of diplomacy and tact.
- Strong working knowledge of legal research tools and Microsoft Office; and high comfort learning and using other software or technology utilized by the firm.
- Ability to speak Spanish is highly desirable.
- The HEAL Staff Attorney will be expected to go through the process to become a volunteer with Akron Children’s Hospital and any other medical location with whom HEAL collaborates.*
*As part of that process, the HEAL Staff Attorney will be required to (1) show proof of vaccination for or immunity to measles, (2) show proof of vaccination for or attestation of having had chickenpox, (3) obtain flu vaccine during flu season, and (4) show proof of no active TB either by undergo TB skin testing, chest x-ray, or other manner approved by Akron Children's. With proper medical documentation, these requirements can be waived.