New Haven Legal Assistance Association, Inc. (NHLAA) seeks a staff attorney to represent low-income individuals in family law matters, including proceedings involving Restraining Orders, Divorce, Custody, and Child Support. NHLAA is a nonprofit organization that was incorporated in 1964. Our mission is to provide high-quality free legal services to individuals, families, and groups living in the greater New Haven area, including the lower Naugatuck Valley, who are unable to obtain legal services because of limited income, age, disability, discrimination and other barriers. We specialize in family, workers’ rights, education, public benefits, housing, immigration, health, and child law.
The attorney will be expected to:
• Represent NHLAA clients throughout our service area;
• Maintain an active caseload of representation and advice cases which will require regular court appearances;
• Conduct community outreach in the form of Know Your Rights presentations and staffing office hours at social service agencies;
• Coordinate with other social service agencies working with our clients;
• Help identify larger trends and issues for our clients, and work to develop strategies to respond to those trends and issues; and
• Have a valid driver’s license; access to a car; and current insurance
Qualifications: Applicants must be admitted to the Connecticut Bar. Family law experience is preferred. Spanish speaking ability is preferred, but not required.
Start Date: Immediately
Compensation: Salary depends on experience; excellent benefits package