Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County. CLA SoCal seeks an energetic, motivated, personable and effective Staff Attorney to be part of the Norwalk Office (visit www.CLSOCAL.ORG for more information about us). Under the supervision of the Directing Attorney, this position is responsible for handling a full range of civil legal problems including, but not limited to, family law, housing, consumer, and government benefits. Must have at least 1 ½ years of civil law experience.
- Handles client interviews, negotiation, settlement, trial and appeal of cases in State and Federal Courts;
- Researches and prepares pleadings and other legal documents in connection with trials, hearings, and other legal proceedings;
- Directs and supervises clinical law students and paralegals;
- Conducts community meetings and attends outreach events; and,
- Participates in activities of community-based organizations and Bar Association activities.
What are we looking for
- Education/License Required: J.D. and active membership in good standing with the State Bar of California.
- Knowledge of legal principles and their application.
- Knowledge of rules of evidence and the conduct of court proceedings.
- Knowledge of legal research methods.
- Proficiency in Legal Solutions, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, etc.) and other software programs.
What we can offer in return
- Being part of a stimulating, challenging non-profit law firm that is making an impact in the community.
- Being a member of a committed team, all striving to reach the same goals and supporting each other along the way.
- A salary and reward package in line with your experience.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes medical/dental, 401k with employer contribution; life insurance; and short-term and long-term disability policies. Paid holidays | vacation | sick leave
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to humanresources@CLSOCAL.ORG. Position open until filled.
The Community Legal Aid SoCal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send resume and cover letter to humanresources@CLSOCAL.ORG.