Legal Aid Society of Cleveland is seeking attorneys to fill positions which will open in 2019 as a result of growth. Recent law school graduates and experienced attorneys are encouraged to apply. Legal Aid attorneys represent individual clients in a variety of legal issues that impact shelter, health/safety, and economic security. Legal Aid has an immediate opening for an attorney who would primarily handle public benefits cases. Other openings may be in housing, consumer, public benefits, education, family/domestic violence, employment/barriers to employment, foreclosure, and/or tax. And, Legal Aid anticipates an opening for an experienced attorney in its Community Engagement Practice Group. This attorney will focus on building community partnerships, outreach to vulnerable populations and engaging community lawyering.
In addition to providing legal assistance to individual clients, Legal Aid attorneys engage in broad-based advocacy to impact client groups and communities. Legal Aid attorneys work in partnership with other service providers to address community issues and engage in community legal education. For example, Legal Aid has medical-legal partnerships with MetroHealth, University Hospitals and Saint Vincent Charity Hospital. Legal Aid attorneys also collaborate with local, state and national colleagues.
Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm whose mission is to secure justice and resolve fundamental problems for those who are low income and vulnerable by providing high quality legal services and working for systemic solutions. Founded in 1905, Legal Aid is the fifth oldest legal aid in the United States. Legal Aid’s 81 staff (including 47 attorneys) and more than 3,000 volunteer lawyers use the power of the law to improve safety and health, shelter, and economic stability for low income clients. For more, visit: www.lasclev.org.
Compensation & Benefits: The salary for this position is $57,600+ DOE. Legal Aid offers an exceptional benefits package including healthcare, life and disability insurance, retirement savings plan with up to 13% employer contribution, and much more. Visit www.lasclev.org/careers/overview for more information.
Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate because of age, race, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
The Successful Candidate will:
- Be committed to Legal Aid’s mission.
- Hold a JD and be licensed to practice law in Ohio or eligible to waive in or sit for the next bar.
- Have experience in legal services or a nonprofit environment (strongly preferred).
- Have working knowledge of state and federal law related to Legal Aid’s clients.
- Exhibit outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Have experience collaborating with other (non-legal) professions preferred.
- Have excellent research, writing and advocacy skills.
- Have strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Have excellent team- and partnership-building skills.
- Be organized, able to plan and problem-solve, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
- Be willing to attend partnership meetings and events outside normal business hours.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org, listing “Attorney” in the subject line of the email. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.