POSITION: Staff Attorney – Health Consumer Action Center
SUPERVISOR: Supervising Attorney
WAGE RANGE: $50,537 - $72,545 depending on experience
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Exempt Employee
LOCATION: Santa Ana Office
Application Deadline: Continuous until position is filled
Legal Aid Society of Orange County is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing free and low-cost civil legal services to low- and middle-income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County, where it is known as Community Legal Services. The program focuses on supporting clients through trauma informed care.
LASOC/CLS is proud to host Orange County’s Health Consumer Action Center, in association with the Health Consumer Alliance. LASOC/CLS’ HCAC assists low-income, underrepresented consumers in accessing the health care system in Orange County. As the only program of its kind in Orange County, HCAC provides legal advocacy and expertise to help health care consumers obtain the coverage and access services they need.
LASOC/CLS seeks an energetic, motivated, personable and effective Staff Attorney to support the Health Consumer Action Center (HCAC) under the direction of the Supervising Attorney.
Under the supervision of the Supervising Attorney, the attorney will advocate for and represent clients on cases involving private and public health insurance programs and engage in systemic advocacy. The attorney will be involved in and participate in community stakeholder’s meetings, HCA meetings, statewide California Health Advocates meetings and other related health events. The attorney will provide presentations to community-based agencies and community events on health care issues. The attorney will occasionally serve on the Hotline to provide advice and supervision for Hotline intake.
This position requires a dedicated, professional, highly organized, and detail-oriented attorney who has a strong academic background and some evidence of commitment to dealing with healthcare (managed care) and commitment to public interest law.
Education/License Required: J.D. and active membership in good standing with the State Bar of California.
Experience: A minimum of one year of experience in health advocacy as an attorney is preferred. Significant health advocacy experience or equivalent skills serving low-income or other under-served communities. Spanish-speaking ability preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of federal and state health care regulatory scheme and preferably have experience with health law issues and health coverage matters, including, but not limited to the Affordable Care Act, Covered California, Medi-Cal, Managed Care, and Cal MediConnect plan.
- Knowledge of the principles and procedures of litigation in State and Federal Courts, administrative agencies and hearing rights; substantive areas of law relevant to program/office case priorities, specifically in health care; principles of community development and establishment of working relationships; computer research methods; knowledge of services and resources for the client community.
- Legal Research methods.
- Legal principles and their application.
- Rules of evidence and conduct of court proceedings.
- MS Office applications and Legal Solutions.
- Necessary skills include client interviewing, investigation, legal research, analytical reasoning ability, excellent English writing skills, negotiation, communication/listening skills, ability to work under stress and short time lines, ability to work with/for poor people, empathize with the client community, and the ability to conduct computer research and adapt to new health laws and other regulatory changes.
- Work effectively with staff, Bar Associations, Board, client and non-client community.
- Aggressively seek out and identify legal issues of common concern and impact on our client community.
- Comfortable working with low-income community, including victims/survivors of domestic violence and crimes, homeless, veterans, seniors and other disenfranchised groups.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical, dental, LTD, 401k with employer contribution, life insurance, and FSA. Paid holidays | vacation | sick leave
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Jessica Flowers at email@example.com. Position open until filled.