The Legal Aid Society of Columbus (LASC) is looking for an individual with a demonstrated commitment to making a difference in the lives of indigent people and their communities for an attorney position in our Columbus office. This attorney will be working with the Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC). The LITC has been operating at LASC since 2004. In 2015, the LITC was able to get clients $35,614 in refunds and relieve $264,569 in tax debt. Our attorneys are encouraged and supported in being creative, effective advocates in federal, state, and local judicial, administrative, and legislative forums. Additional information about LASC is available at: www.columbuslegalaid.org.
• Individual client representation in a variety of forums including the United States Tax Court;
• Community Outreach;
• Strategic Advocacy; and
• Work with other areas within LASC including pro bono, other substantive teams, and finance
• Demonstrated patience, compassion, respect and commitment to serving low-income and immigrant community members (required);
• Ability to train and work with volunteer attorneys and students (required); Strong preference for applicants admitted to the Ohio Bar or eligible to take the next bar exam. Will also consider applicants who are admitted to bar of another state or US territory and willing to sit for Ohio bar within 2 years of hiring.
• Experience in legal services or administrative law (highly desired);
• Working knowledge of federal income tax law (highly desired);
• Working proficiency in Spanish or Somali (preferred).
Reply with resume, writing sample, and references to: Kathleen C. McGarvey, Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to a salary of $47,000 + DOE, we offer an excellent benefits and leave package, eligibility for the Ohio Legal Assistance Foundation Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP), and excellent ongoing training opportunities.