The American Samoa Legal Aid, Inc.(“ASLA”) is seeking to employ one full-time attorney or part-time attorney on a three year contract for our non-profit law firm that provides free civil legal services to low-income residents of American Samoa.
About the Position:
ASLA is interested in an attorney with legal experience in handling Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Date Violence, and Stalking cases. ASLA will also consider applicant’s experience in handling cases in Family Law, Housing, Administrative Law, Immigration, Consumer, Social Security, Public Benefits and Veteran Benefits.
- Provide effective legal advice and representation of ASLA clients.
- Comply with ASLA U.S. Department of Justice Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, Stalking program grant guidelines.
- Perform work assigned by the Executive Director.
- Comply with applicable Legal Services Corporation regulations in 45 CFR Part 1600 et. seq.
- Adhere to ASLA Board and Office policies.
Articulate ASLA’s mission in the legal community, judiciary, government, nonprofit organizations and the community at large.
Salary and Benefits:
Depends on experience, salary $48,000 per year for full-time attorney plus generous leave benefits or $24,000 per year for part-time attorney (20 hours per week) plus leave benefits.
- Admitted or being admitted to practice law in American Samoa.
- Possess the highest ethical standards.
- Five years experience as an attorney practicing law in American Samoa or the U.S.A. or Samoa.
- Familiarity with Legal Services Corporation regulations is preferable.
- Possess excellent communication skills. Ability to speak and write both in English and Samoan will be favorably considered.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Familiarity with the PIKA case management system is preferable
- Value diversity and be culturally competent.
- Ability to work well together with the Board, Executive Director and support staff to fulfill the ASLA mission and Strategic Plan action goals.
- Demonstrate a commitment to serve low-income residents.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Deadline for applications is Wednesday 10/25/17 at 4pm. Interested candidates should submit a letter expressing why they are interested in the position of
ASLA Staff Attorney as well as what they believe they can contribute to the future of the program and its client community. The letter should be accompanied by a current resume with the names and contact information of three references. Application letter and resume should be submitted electronically via email in Microsoft Word format to ASLA Executive Director Fainu’ulelei L.P.F. Ala’ilima-Utu at the following email address:Fautu@aslegalaid.org.
ASLA is an equal opportunity employer.