Social Worker Supervisor/Program Director
Social Worker Supervisor/Program Director
Hybrid remote work schedule: 3 days in office/field and 2 days remote
Base location: Asheville
Position Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) is a community-based non-profit legal aid agency governed by a local Board of Directors. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC), Pisgah Legal Services provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in WNC. The organization currently has offices in Asheville, Brevard, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Highlands-Cashiers, Marshall, Newland, and Rutherfordton. With over 120 dedicated staff, including over 30 attorneys plus program staff, and an active group of 200 volunteer attorneys, the program provides free services to over 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
PLS seeks a full-time Social Worker Supervisor/ Program Director for supervision of the Client and Community Resource Team including the Healthy Opportunities Pilot program. This position will partner with attorneys, social workers, and other staff to help support clients by connecting them with resources to address social determinants of health related to housing, toxic stress, and intimate partner violence the Healthy Opportunities Pilot. The Social worker Supervisor will be trained to use the NCCARE360 Referral Platform for the Healthy Opportunities Pilot and provide case management to support Medicaid eligible clients in meeting housing and other health-related stability goals.
The Social Worker Supervisor will:
- Supervise members of the Client and Community Resource Team (CCRT).
- Develop relationships with each client based in respect and compassion.
- Utilize an empowerment and advocacy approach to promote and protect their clients’ right to self-determination.
- Provide case management services to Medicaid eligible Healthy Opportunities clients.
- Serve as the referral source and feedback loop for Healthy Opportunities Pilot referrals to Pisgah Legal Services.
- Support clients to make their own decisions and life plans.
- Work within a Trauma Informed Care framework, recognizing that many of their client’s behaviors and responses may be directly related to traumatic experiences.
- Have a deep understanding of the causes and impacts of poverty.
- Understand and apply approaches within the social determinants of health framework.
- Work to understand the discrimination and oppression that impacts their clients, based on race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, immigration status, and other factors, and adapt their work accordingly.
The Social Worker Supervisor should have a passion for promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, be a creative and zealous staff member and a team-player and demonstrate a commitment to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities.
- Commitment to PLS’ mission, values, and vision.
- Document all work in Legal Server case management software along with Unite Us (NCCARE 360) database.
- Take referrals from Unite Us and Healthy Opportunities Pilot referral organizations and staff attorneys.
- Build relationships with clients to support and meet immediate needs.
- Connect clients with appropriate services to address safety, health, housing, transportation, employment, food, education, substance use & family care needs.
- Explore options to meet needs, when necessary, services do not exist in a community.
- Organize and conduct community engagement.
- Develop and maintain community relationships with other non-profit agencies, government officials, government employees, community leaders and others.
- Travel within our service area and to meetings or conferences in other parts of NC.
- Adhere to program priorities and case handling policies, procedures, and standards of practice, as well as the highest professional and ethical standards.
- Work with volunteers, including volunteer attorneys and social work students.
- Assist with fundraising in coordination with PLS Development Team.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Passion for and commitment to PLS’ mission, values, and vision.
- Master of Social Work degree required.
- Prior Supervisory experience required.
- Demonstrated skills at socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and the ability to work with someone who is angry, upset, or ill.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
- Spanish language skills strongly desired.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and justice, including racial equity.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
Salary ranges from $46,000 - $84,500 depending on experience. Additional bilingual language skills that are applicable to this role may qualify for up to an additional $3k upon completing a language assessment test.
Our salary scale is predetermined based on the years of relative professional work experience that qualify for this position to ensure equity in pay. Pisgah Legal Services is a Living Wage Certified Employer.
Employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage the 1st of the month following the start date. Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) pays 100% of the Employee and 50% of the Dependent Cost for BCBS Medical and Dental coverage. PLS pays 50% of the Employee Coverage Cost for BCBS Vision coverage. PLS pays 100% of Long-Term & Short-Term Disability Coverage, Life Insurance Coverage of 5x base salary + an additional $15,000 Life & AD&D Coverage. 401k Retirement Plan after 6 months of employment. Additional Fringe Benefits includes Pet Insurance, Paid Parental Leave, Paid Bereavement Leave, 13.5 Company Holidays, 22 Paid Leave Days, Paid Sabbatical Leave for eligible staff, Employee Assistance Program for entire household and a great working environment with work life balance!
Submit your online application with resume and cover letter through our Career Center located at https://www.pisgahlegal.org/jobs.
PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with our Human Resources department.
Please see Job Description.
Please see Job Description.