Social Worker (Senior Law Program)
Senior Law Program
In person/remote hybrid work option available during 2023
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc. (LSEM), a nonprofit law firm providing free, quality civil legal services, seeks a full-time Social Worker for its Elder Law Program in its St. Louis City office. The Social Worker will work closely with legal advocates to conduct holistic advocacy for seniors aged 60+, mostly in St. Louis City, who have a variety of civil legal problems, but focusing mostly on housing and consumer law cases being handled by the attorney dedicated to serving seniors.
- Upon referral, conduct needs assessments and risk assessments for new senior clients
- Develop case plans and stabilization goals to support senior client aspirations
As indicated by needs or risk assessments, assist clients with:
- Food access
- Health care access
- Medical debt payment plans/charity care
- Financial assistance programs
- Other resources as applicable
- Build relationships with social workers and case managers at other social service and health care providers’ offices to ensure continuity of care when legal case closes
- Engage in community education and systemic advocacy by attending community meetings and other stakeholder coalitions related to issues seniors face
- Collaborate with the attorney handling the legal case
LSEM advances justice through legal representation, education, and supportive services. We partner with the community to improve lives, promote fairness and create opportunities for those in need. Since 1956, LSEM has provided high-quality civil legal assistance and equal access to justice for low-income people in 21 counties in Missouri. We accomplish our mission through systemic advocacy/impact litigation and individual case work in a wide range of substantive civil areas which are in our priorities, e.g., family law for victims of domestic violence, prevention of homelessness/housing, health, public benefits, consumer, education, disability, community economic development, and immigration. As part of our community education/outreach efforts, LSEM works with over 150 agencies and participates in over 35 task forces/coalitions. LSEM also has a vibrant Volunteer Lawyers Program.
Salary & Benefits Information:
Salary range is $50,000-$75,000 with MSW and $46,000-68,000 without MSW. Specific salary within the range will be determined by years of experience. Excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, a generous time off policy, 12 weeks parental leave, 403(b) and 401(a) retirement plans, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance plan, and flexible spending account.
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered until position is filled.
At Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, we value diversity, equity, inclusion, and mutual respect. We encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ+, people of all abilities, and those who have been historically disadvantaged to apply. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that represents our community and to be an inclusive environment for all employees.
Equal access to Legal Services of Eastern Missouri’s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact Human Resources at the e-mail email@example.com. Legal Services of Eastern Missouri is an equal opportunity employer.
- Bachelor of Social Work or comparable degree (MSW preferred)
- Experience working with low-income people as a social worker preferred
- Experience working with seniors and people with disabilities preferred but not required
- Strong problem-solving and de-escalation skills
- Ability to relate well and work with low-income clients and collaborate with community stakeholders
- Strong communication skills, organizational skills, work ethic, flexibility, and teamwork
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office and able to quickly learn new systems
- Familiarity with case management software preferred
- Interest or knowledge in grant writing, tracking, and reporting preferred
Upload your resume and cover letter through our online application at: https://jobapply.page.link/d2y8s. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.