Senior Paralegal (Economic Stability Workgroup*)
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Senior Paralegal. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
*NOTE- This position is part of a special program created using designated funds. There is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond June 2022.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Paralegal Certificate;
- Nine or more years experience providing paralegal support with disability claims in Supplemental Security Income, Social Security Disability Insurance or Cash Assistance for Immigrants programs;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of low-income people;
- Litigation support experience, including case evaluation, legal research and writing and administrative hearing experience preferred;
- Familiarity with other government benefits programs such as General Relief and other public assistance programs; and
- Previous public interest experience preferred.
- Conduct extensive interviews with potential or retained clients;
- Gather and review medical records and Social Security and Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) notices;
- Summarize medical records for assessment of merit for representation based on extensive review of medical records and other documents; and
- Provide paralegal support to attorneys in assisting disabled and low-income clients obtain or maintain Social Security Disability Insurance, Supplemental Security Income or CAPI benefits.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Senior Paralegal-Economic Stability” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD - A nine-month probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.