Senior Law/Health and Benefits Attorney
Legal Aid Society has an opening for a Senior Law/ Health and Benefits Attorney in its Gallatin office. The attorney will provide legal representation to income-eligible clients and seniors in general civil cases, and the primary areas of practice will include health and benefits, elder law, and employment law. As part of a holistic approach, representation may also include varying areas of law as needed, administrative advocacy, and community education for clients in accordance with program guidelines and priorities and the Code of Professional Responsibility. Provide administrative case information as requested by specific funders.
This position will educate consumers, build networks, and provide outreach with the Seniors Community Outreach Coordinator to community organizations and to low-income seniors and families eligible for legal assistance in the Gallatin office service area.
This position is funded in part by a court order from funds recovered by the Tennessee Attorney General. The attorney must adhere to the goals and outcomes spelled out in the agreement with the Tennessee Commission on Aging and Disability.
Salary: Dependent on experience. Excellent benefits and loan forgiveness.
Legal Aid Society has thirty-seven attorneys in eight offices in Middle and East Tennessee. Its attorneys provide low-income people expert legal assistance at all levels of state and federal court. Its staff includes national authorities in the fields of domestic violence, housing, consumer law, federal income taxation, health advocacy, nonprofit group representation, social security and special education. For more information about LAS, visit www.las.org.
- Law school graduate.
- Admitted to practice in Tennessee or willing to take first available bar examination.
- Demonstrated interest in public interest law and the problems of disadvantaged communities.
- Experience working in the field of health and benefits law, employment law, and/or elder law preferred.
- Ability to relate to the needs of people of diverse backgrounds and adhere to confidentiality standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience in public speaking and training others on the law.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) and Legal Files database. Ability to learn new computer skills.
- Must have driver’s license and access to transportation.
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish a plus.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references (with phone numbers). No phone calls, please. Please indicate which office(s) you are interested in. Send by mail or e-mail (in Word or PDF format) to:
Re: Senior Law/HIE Attorney- Gallatin
Legal Aid Society
1321 Murfreesboro Pike, Suite 400
Nashville, TN 37217
Apply as soon as possible. Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.