Senior Law Attorney
Legal Aid Society has an opening for an attorney in its Columbia office. The attorney will provide legal representation to eligible senior clients in civil cases, focusing on clients experiencing health, public benefits, housing and consumer issues and will carry a caseload. Function as part of a regional law firm using the practice group model that maximizes the use of its limited resources to achieve the greatest possible benefits and systemic solutions for clients and other low-income people who may face similar legal problems. As a part of a holistic approach, representation may include varying areas of law as needed, administrative advocacy and community education for clients in accordance with program guidelines and priorities and the Code of Professional Responsibility. Provide requested administrative case information, as needed for specific funders.
The Columbia attorney will work closely with the Director of Tennessee Senior Law Alliance, the Columbia Seniors Community Outreach Coordinator/Paralegal, the Columbia Managing Attorney and the Tullahoma Managing Attorney. This position will educate, build networks, and provide outreach with the Columbia Seniors Community Outreach Coordinator/Paralegal to community organizations and to low-income seniors and families eligible for legal assistance in the 15 middle Tennessee counties served by LAS’s Columbia and Tullahoma offices. Attorney will provide legal assistance primarily to individual clients in the Columbia office service area and a limited amount of legal assistance in the Tullahoma office service area.
Salary: Dependent on experience. Excellent benefits and loan forgiveness.
Legal Aid Society has thirty-seven attorneys in eight offices in Middle and East Tennessee. Its attorneys provide low-income people expert legal assistance at all levels of state and federal court. Its staff includes national authorities in the fields of domestic violence, housing, consumer law, federal income taxation, health advocacy, nonprofit group representation, social security and special education. For more information about LAS, visit www.las.org.
- Must be a law school graduate and be admitted to practice in Tennessee or willing to take first available bar examination.
- Demonstrated interest in public interest law, helping seniors, health and benefit law, housing and consumer law, and the problems of disadvantaged communities.
- Ability to relate to the needs of people of diverse backgrounds and adhere to confidentiality standards.
- Commitment to high quality representation and a desire to handle cases that benefit individual clients as well as those impacting their communities.
- Ability to be flexible and creative with litigation strategies.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent legal research, writing, and analysis skills.
- Experienced in public speaking and training others on the law.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to work with a team and independently.
- Experience working under and reporting on grants.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) and Legal Files database preferred. Ability to learn new computer skills.
- Residence or intent to reside in the office’s service area and a sense of humor are preferred.
- Must have driver’s license and access to transportation.
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish a plus.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references (with phone numbers). No phone calls, please. Please indicate which office(s) you are interested in. Send by mail or e-mail (in Word or PDF format) to:
Re: Senior Law Attorney
Legal Aid Society
1321 Murfreesboro Rd.
Nashville, TN 37217
Apply as soon as possible. Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.