Senior Finance Specialist
Ohio State Legal Services Association (OSLSA) is a three-part legal aid program headquartered in Columbus. OSLSA’s mission is to provide civil legal aid and advocacy to combat unfairness and injustice and to help people rise out of poverty.
OSLSA is actively seeking a professional, reliable, and dedicated Senior Finance Specialist to join our team. This position serves as an integral member of the Finance team and supports the management of resources across the program.
In this multifaceted role, you will be responsible for providing finance and accounting expertise and application to support alignment of general ledger entries, preparation of financial statements, other grant related reporting, and ensure compliance with accounting policies and procedures.
Are You Someone Who:
- Takes pride in completing tasks accurately, timely and precisely?
- Creates processes to increase work efficiencies and systems to work smarter not harder?
- Has a go-getter mindset and aptitude to learn new things?
- Is motivated, professional and customer service focused?
- Enjoys a well-organized, balanced spreadsheet?
- Works well within in a collaborative, team-driven, and goal-based environment?
- Can communicate verbally and in writing with a wide range of people?
- Is agile and able to respond effectively to the changing needs of a growing organization?
- Engages in continuous learning to evolve personal accounting skill set?
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare general journal entries.
- Prepare general ledger entries for cash, revenue, payroll, expense and miscellaneous adjustments as needed.
- Maintain required documentation to ensure proper internal controls.
- Prepare general ledger and other schedules as necessary for the annual audit.
- Prepare or assist with the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial and grant reports.
- Assist in the preparation of the monthly financial statements as needed.
- Answer accounting and financial questions from internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with A/R to prepare reconciliations.
- Prepare monthly cash reconciliations.
- Assist with accounts receivable; calculate and recommend adjustments as needed.
- Process payroll for one of the organizations
- Demonstrate an understanding and working knowledge of the various funding sources.
- Serve as a resource for staff and managers regarding accounting processes and the payroll system.
- Perform special projects as needed for grantor audits or other financial data.
- Work to ensure adherence to agency accounting policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of issues of diversity and their affect in the workplace as reflective of the diversity in the population served.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as directed.
- It is the policy of OSLSA not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, age, ancestry, and military status or any other characteristic protected by law.
- This full-time position is based in Columbus, Ohio and reports to the Chief Financial Officer. Some travel to other office locations and offsite locations may be required at times.
- Salary is dependent upon level of experience. OSLSA offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package and ongoing training and development opportunities.
- Demonstrated experience in non-profit accounting or similar with progressive responsibilities.
- Knowledge of finance and accounting practices, financial analysis, and reporting; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
- Understanding of the issues related to the decision-making process; ability to analyze situations fully and accurately and reach productive decisions.
- Understanding of the necessity and value of accuracy and attention to detail; ability to process information with high levels of accuracy.
- Ability to anticipate needs and navigate problems with a creative, practical approach toward reaching successful resolution.
- Ability to prioritize workload to manage time, tasks and priorities to meet deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to increase efficiencies in individual work and team processes.
- Working knowledge of MIP accounting software or similar accounting software.
- Highly proficient skills across the Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Strong work ethic with an eye for detail.
- High ability to exercise sound judgement, discretion and confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, verbally and in writing, effectively with diverse audiences
- English language proficiency is essential.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or similar field.
Submit resume, references and letter of interest to email@example.com
In your cover letter, please address the following in order for your application to be considered: OSLSA’s clientele is extremely diverse and all of our clients are low-income. To ensure that our agency is best serving our communities, OSLSA strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
To promote social justice and best serve our clients, OSLSA is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and providing culturally competent services. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups including BIPOC and LGBTQ individuals to apply. Bilingual/bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.