Senior Attorney (Commission on Law and Aging)
The ABA Commission on Law & Aging is seeking a full-time Senior Attorney to engage in legal system reform efforts with aging law stakeholders throughout the country, including Court Improvement Projects (CIP), agencies, judges, attorneys, federal and state partners, and tribes. The Senior Attorney will work on grant development and have opportunities over time to cultivate a portfolio of their own projects in the aging law field based on individual interest and expertise.
If you are dedicated to strengthening and securing the legal rights, dignity, autonomy, quality of life, and quality of care of older adults, the ABA Commission on Law & Aging provides an excellent platform to develop national leadership skills to inform best practices and improve systems and outcomes. We look forward to learning more about how you could contribute to our mission and our team. All applications must be submitted online. Please include a cover letter and resume in one document when uploading on the ABA site.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Provide substantive advice, information, and policy development. Serve as principal ABA expert in relevant substantive areas of law or public policy. Conduct research and meetings; develop recommendations and memos. Includes contacts with government entities including officials and with media.
- Produce and present training for lawyers, other professionals, and consumers on issues in law and aging. Collaborate with internal and external entities to provide a wide range of training and information and education about issues in aging.
- Project development, grant writing, and reporting on diverse projects. Participating in or leading fundraising and development efforts. Generating ideas or content for social media, podcasts, and website.
- Tracking and analyzing laws and policies, consulting and providing feedback on existing or proposed changes in law and policy. Serving as the Commission’s issue expert. Writing articles, fact sheets, or practice tips for a wide array of audiences and publications on the issues and work of the Commission.
- Serving on and coordinating stakeholder groups internal and external to the ABA.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Required Education, Qualifications, Experience
- JD and active bar admission in at least one jurisdiction.
- At least 6+ years of practice or other experience in relevant specialized area of law.
- Requires research and writing skills, communication and collaboration skills, advocacy experience, excellent organizational skills, and ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Substantial experience in legal decision-making, guardianship reform or practice, and related civil justice systems issues.
Preferred Education, Qualifications, Experience
- Experience with defense against guardianship, guardianship reform, capacity, legal ethics, adult abuse, supported decision-making, or delegated decision-making.
- Experience writing for professionals and consumers and producing and presenting training on legal issues.
- Typical office work environment.
Extent of Travel Required in the Job
- Travel up to 10% time.