Qualified Tax Expert, CPA, Attorney, or Enrolled Agent (Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic)
Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) Qualified Tax Expert (QTE) CPA, Attorney or Enrolled Agent
Hybrid remote work schedule: 3 days in office/field and 2 days remote
Base office in Asheville, NC
Position Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) is a community-based non-profit legal aid agency governed by a local Board of Directors. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC), Pisgah Legal Services provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in WNC. The organization currently has offices in Asheville, Brevard, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Highlands-Cashiers, Marshall, Newland, and Rutherfordton. With over 120 dedicated staff, including over 30 attorneys plus program staff, and an active group of 200 volunteer attorneys, the program provides free services to over 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
Pisgah Legal Services seeks a Qualified Tax Expert (QTE) CPA, Attorney or Enrolled Agent for the Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) with a commitment to, and passion for, the rights of low-income taxpayers. The QTE will work with other tax and benefits program staff to increase the capacity of PLS to low-income taxpayers through tax controversy representation and advice on tax disputes with the IRS and North Carolina Department of Revenue. The LITC is supported by a grant from the Internal Revenue Service.
The LITC QTE will:
- Represent and advise low-income and ESL taxpayers, according to Treasury Department Circular 230, on income tax and/or tax controversy-related issues such as examinations, audit reconsiderations, innocent spouse petitions, identity theft, return preparer misconduct, preventing/stopping levies, releasing/withdrawing liens.
- Tax return preparation, review and filing for low-income and ESL taxpayers.
- Provide technical assistance to PLS staff including attorneys and tax preparers on issues regarding tax return preparation. Examples of such issues include but are not limited to: Premium Tax Credit allocation and reconciliation, Schedule C questions, eligibility for tax credits such as the earned income tax credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit (CTC), and the Credit for Other Dependents.
- Obtain appropriate credentials to represent clients against and negotiate with the IRS and NC DOR.
- Communicate effectively with the IRS by telephone on behalf of a taxpayer for information and fact gathering.
- Recommend and assist in filing collection alternatives, such as offers in compromise, installment agreements, and CNC status and collection delay requests.
- Assist Taxpayer in requesting First-Time Penalty Abatement (FTA).
- Analyze and review changes in tax laws and regulations with emphasis on changes impacting low-income and ESL taxpayers and disseminate information to staff, volunteer attorneys and the public.
- Conduct outreach and community education to taxpayers and service providers to build awareness and knowledge of tax benefits and credits available to low-income and ESL taxpayers.
- Maintain a caseload commensurate with experience and conduct client intake and potentially supervise/coordinate a special project or clinic.
- Conduct trauma-informed and client-centered interviews with a holistic approach to poverty law remedies.
- Maintain meticulous and contemporaneous records, and document all work in Legal Server case management software.
- Develop and maintain relationships with communities and other non-profit agencies, government officials, government employees, community leaders and others.
- Adhere to program priorities and case handling policies, procedures and standards of practice, as well as the highest professional and ethical standards.
- Provide all information and services in a manner that is culturally and linguistically appropriate and ensure accessibility for individuals with disabilities.
- Enrolled Agent, N.C. Licensed CPA, or N.C. Licensed Attorney.
- Knowledge and understanding of federal income tax law.
- Experience in tax preparation.
- Experience in tax controversy or advising and representing taxpayers before the IRS preferred.
- Demonstrated skills at socio-economic and cultural sensitivity, commitment to equity.
- Commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, consumers, clients, board members, donors, community groups, member organizations and others.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently.
- Detail-oriented, accurate and organized.
- Ability to create, communicate, understand, remember, and carry out complex instructions.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, Power Point and Adobe PDF professional; experience conducting legal research with research tools such as Bloomberg Tax (BNA), Checkpoint, or TaxNotes.
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with co-workers and clients in virtual, face to face and meeting settings.
- Available 8:30 am- 5pm daily, Monday-Friday, except NC State holidays.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Access to a reliable car with car insurance preferred.
- Available to work nights and/or weekends during high demand periods.
- Possess socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and ability to communicate with persons in crisis or under stress.
- Ability to multi-task and interact well with professionals, clients, and others.
Salary ranges from $41,812 – $108,000 depending on IRS Enrolled Agent (EA) status, CPA designation, attorney licensure, experience and qualifications.
Our salary scale is predetermined based on the years of relative professional work experience that qualify for this position to ensure equity in pay. Pisgah Legal Services is a Living Wage Certified Employer.
Employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage the 1st of the month following the start date. Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) pays 100% of the Employee and 50% of the Dependent Cost for BCBS Medical and Dental coverage. PLS pays 50% of the Employee Coverage Cost for BCBS Vision coverage. PLS pays 100% of Long-Term & Short-Term Disability Coverage, Life Insurance Coverage of 5x base salary + an additional $15,000 Life & AD&D Coverage. 401k Retirement Plan after 6 months of employment. Additional Fringe Benefits includes Pet Insurance, Paid Parental Leave, Paid Bereavement Leave, 13.5 Company Holidays, 22 Paid Leave Days, Paid Sabbatical Leave for eligible staff, Employee Assistance Program for entire household and a great working environment with work life balance!
Submit your online application with resume and cover letter through our Career Center located at https://www.pisgahlegal.org/jobs
PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with our Human Resources department.
Please see Job Description.
Please see Job Description.