Public Entitlements Staff Attorney
Legal Services of New Jersey seeks a Public Entitlements Staff Attorney to join the Public Entitlements Legal Advocacy team, under the direction and supervision of LSNJ’s General Representation Unit. We are looking for someone to work collaboratively with our small but mighty Entitlements Team, and with the legal staff across LSNJ’s various projects, including our Healthcare Access Project, the SSI Representation Unit, our Family Representation Project, Legal Assistance Medical Partnership, Legal Assistance Hotline and the Poverty Research Institute. The Public Benefits team also works closely with LSNJ’s Social Work Unit. While the initial focus will be on individual case representation, the new attorney will also contribute to the broader work of the benefits unit working on administrative and legislative policy advocacy, litigation, community outreach & education and other strategies to address laws, policies and practices that affect New Jersey’s safety net.
The attorney will:
Provide high-quality representation for individuals seeking access to Work First New Jersey cash assistance, nutrition assistance programs including SNAP, workforce development programs, childcare and other related benefits and services. Work with LSNJ leadership and benefits team in identifying systemic issues, including racial inequities across public entitlements programs, and in identifying and implementing solutions for low-income New Jerseyan’s seeking access to benefits, through litigation, policy advocacy and other strategies. Assist in the development of legal resources and community education materials across LSNJ’s media and informational publications and platforms.
LSNJ offers a positive workplace (currently remote) among colleagues who enjoy and are passionate about their work. We encourage a supportive team work environment, with work-life balance. Benefits include comprehensive health and retirement plans and in-house trainings that offer CLE credit.
- Creative and strategic thinking. The ability to develop novel legal theories and strategies to address complex problems while seeing the larger landscape of issues
- Demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations
- Experience and interest in policy advocacy, litigation and other forms of impact advocacy
- Exhibit sound professional and legal judgment
- Experience and ability to work with low-income and vulnerable individuals
- Demonstrated commitment to poverty law, and public interest work
- Illustrate a high level commitment to racial justice advocacy
- Substantive knowledge and experience in Public Benefits preferred.
To be considered, send a cover letter describing your interest and related legal background, along with a resume detailing your previous related experience and the states and years of all bar admissions. Please also include two recent legal writing samples. Send all required components to firstname.lastname@example.org.