Public Benefits Counselor
Summary: The Legal Aid of Bluegrass, which has a 50-year history of making a positive impact in Kentucky, seeks a Public Benefits Counselor to work from its Lexington office location. The Benefits Counselor will work directly with the elderly and disabled individuals to help them access applicable government benefits programs like Medicare, Medicaid, SNAP, etc. The position will primarily work with Medicare beneficiaries to counsel Medicare recipients about public benefits, health, and other insurance benefit programs. Additionally, anyone over 60 will be able to receive assistance. The Benefits Paralegals will assist clients in person or by phone to enroll them in public benefits programs; recruit and train volunteers to supplement program services; conduct community education and enrollment events; and coordinate services with the organization’s staff attorneys.
- Work directly with Medicare beneficiaries to resolve their simple to complex Medicare issues, assist with their public benefits, and/or resolve other health insurance problems.
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers to counsel Medicare recipients on government benefits, health, and other insurance matters.
- Develop and implement a plan for community outreach and education about different assistance programs and public benefits for Medicare beneficiaries.
- Maintain accurate and complete files and prepare timely and complete forms and records required for client services or related administrative tasks. Enter accurate data into electronic case management systems.
- Identify and pursue training needs.
- Perform and complete other duties as assigned.
Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is a non-profit law firm providing civil legal assistance to nearly 220,000 low-income people in 33 counties from four offices located in Covington, Lexington, Morehead and Ashland. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass’ legal practice is primarily in the areas of family law, domestic violence, government, and housing and consumer law. It has been and will continue to be the policy of Legal Aid of the Bluegrass to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At Legal Aid of the Bluegrass, we believe that diversity and inclusion is critical – creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and success. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that they are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives. The position is open until filled.
Requirements, Skill & Abilities include:
- Four-year degree from an accredited College or University or an associate degree in Paralegal or Legal Studies or have equivalent experience.
- Ability to communicate verbally clearly and accurately and in writing and have a pleasant telephone demeanor.
- Must be able to travel to courthouses, senior citizens center, trainings and other events.
- Ability to use office and computer technology, including case management and word processing software.
Qualified Candidates should send resume and statement of interest to Resumes@lablaw.org with the subject line Public Benefits Counselor.