Program Manager, Access to Counsel
Summary: The mission of Maryland Legal Services Corporation is to ensure low-income Marylanders have access to stable, efficient and effective civil legal assistance through grantmaking to nonprofit legal services organizations. MLSC seeks a full-time program manager to coordinate two new statutorily created programs: a statewide Access to Counsel in Evictions program and a Right to Counsel in Evictions program specific to Baltimore City.
Our office is located in downtown Baltimore, and we work in a hybrid format. The Program Manager will report to the Executive Director. This is a grant-funded position, currently funded through June 2024, with high probability of continuing beyond that date.
- Coordinate implementation of both a statewide Access to Counsel in Evictions program and a Right to Counsel in Evictions program specific to Baltimore City, including convening stakeholders, assisting with program and support system design, and performing outreach to key constituencies.
- Manage grantmaking to legal service providers, including working with other staff to develop application and reporting processes.
- Manage contracting with project vendors.
- Monitor contractor and grantee performance and evaluation, including using MLSC-collected data and coordinating with outside evaluator.
- Work to develop partnerships with relevant institutions and individuals.
- Perform occasional research related to policies and practices.
- Manage MLSC’s reporting to the State, City and other entities. Reporting will include compiling project outcomes, reporting financial data and writing narratives.
- Ensure compliance with state and local laws and regulations.
- Ensure equity is centered in implementation and outreach, as noted in the preambles to both the State and City legislation.
- Participate in and/or provide staffing support for various relevant workgroups or committees.
- Strong commitment to access to justice and familiarity with Maryland’s civil legal aid system.
- Experience with rent court in Maryland strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or significant experience in Maryland’s civil legal aid system required. Law degree may be helpful.
- Experience with grant reporting required. Experience managing federal grants preferred.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to thoughtfully consider ideas from diverse stakeholders.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills, including ability to prioritize and quickly respond to adapting needs.
- Ability to work both independently and with a team.
- Comfort and experience with using technology.
Send cover letter and resume with “Program Manager” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention where you saw this posting. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but please apply by January 13, 2022 for priority consideration.