Ohio State Legal Services Association (OSLSA) is a three-part legal aid program headquartered in Columbus. OSLSA’s mission is to provide civil legal aid and advocacy to combat unfairness and injustice and to help people rise out of poverty.
OSLSA is actively seeking a professional, reliable, and dedicated person to join our team. Initially, this position will assist in supporting the Executive Director and the leadership team, provide logistical support for training and other events, and assist the program to meet its goals.
In this multifaceted role, you will be responsible for assisting management by handling office tasks, providing professional assistance via phone, mail, and e-mail, managing schedules, coordinating both in-person and virtual trainings, and generally being a helpful and positive presence in the workplace.
Are You Someone Who:
- Considers yourself to be a master multi-tasker with excellent communication skills and an upbeat attitude?
- Jumps in with both feet when it comes to organizing others?
- Thrives on managing multiple demands in a fast-paced environment?
- Has interest in and sensitivity to the legal needs of low-income individuals?
- Is professional and attentive while also accurate?
- Anticipates need and prepares accordingly, willing to meet each challenge directly?
- Can communicate verbally with a wide range of people?
- Takes pride in excellent attention to detail when producing documents and other work?
- Is agile and able to respond effectively to the changing needs of a growing organization?
- Creates processes to increase work efficiencies and systems to work smarter not harder?
- Is open to participating in community events?
- Works well within in a collaborative, team-driven, and goal-based environment?
- Serve as primary support for the daily work needs of the Executive Director including schedule management, administrative support and facilitating communications among others
- Support the leadership team with projects and other administrative tasks including scheduling assistance, coordination and dissemination of materials, and logistical support
- Provide strategic administrative and project management support for the Executive Director
- Support the Executive Director and Ohio Poverty Law Center Director’s work with the Boards of Directors including, but not limited to record keeping (minutes/corporate records) and contact information maintenance
- Schedule internal and external meetings
- Draft and manage correspondence and communications on behalf of the Executive Director, as appropriate
- Assist with managing various communication lists including the all-advocates list, taskforce lists, and list serv software among others
- Coordinate large mailings, ordering and printing, and other vendor engagement
- Book travel and accommodations
- Support preparation of donor lists for annual reports and board reports as well as support fundraising efforts
- Collect, organize and manage information and documents
- Support and collaborate with staff, partners and other related parties to help achieve goals
- Help to ensure action items, deadlines and deliverables are completed
- Assist with high-level, confidential, special projects
- Be responsible for some general office work including incoming/outgoing mail, making copies, sending information and other similar tasks
- Maintain the master calendar of OSLSA, Ohio legal aid and regional legal aid trainings
- Manage logistics for training and development including internal OSLSA staff trainings, statewide legal aid staff trainings and regional legal services trainings
- For virtual trainings, provide tech support before, during, and after the online event
- For in-person trainings, coordinate the training facilities, hotel accommodations, food, materials, and audio/visual services for the live event.
- For all trainings, manage on-line registration, answer routine inquiries about trainings, assist with continuing legal education applications and reporting, maintain records of training attendance, compile training evaluations, post training announcements and materials on appropriate calendars, websites and email listservs, attend trainings to assist with logistics, and handle other training related tasks
- A positive attitude, go-getter mindset and drive to do things well
- Demonstrated experience supporting a senior leader or similar position
- Demonstrated experience in event planning and coordination of vendors, partners or other logistically complex situations
- Ability to anticipate needs and navigate problems with a creative, practical approach toward reaching successful resolution
- The ability to prioritize workload to manage time and tasks in a dynamic environment
- Proficient skills across the Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Proficient skills in use of virtual meeting platforms, such as Zoom, Teams, or Go To Webinar
- Comfortable using technology, generally, and ability to help troubleshoot tech issues while working with individuals less comfortable with technology
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, verbally and in writing, effectively with diverse audiences
- Strong work ethic with an eye for detail
- High ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion and confidentiality
- English language proficiency is essential and Spanish/English bilingual skills are a plus. Additional languages – even better
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Associate’s or bachelor’s degree preferred
- Prior Legal Aid or related work experience a plus, but not required
- OSLSA’s clientele is diverse, and all of our clients are low income. To ensure that our program is best serving our communities, OSLSA strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
- It is the policy of OSLSA not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, age, ancestry, and military status or any other characteristic protected by law.
- This full-time position is based in Columbus, Ohio and reports to the Executive Director. Some travel to other office locations and offsite locations may be required at times.
- Starting salary of $36,000 annually DOE. OSLSA offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package, paid time off, and ongoing training and development opportunities.
Submit resume, references and letter of interest.
To promote social justice and best serve our clients, OSLSA is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and providing culturally competent services. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups including Black, Indigenous, People of Color and LGBTQ individuals to apply. Bilingual/bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.