Pro Bono Director
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (“LASP”) seeks an attorney to join its senior management team as the Pro Bono Director. LASP serves low-income individuals and families in Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties. The Pro Bono Director will assess LASP’s current pro bono delivery system and develop a framework for LASP’s regional pro bono program which will support a comprehensive, unified approach to pro bono that implements modern and impactful strategies, provides volunteers with positive experiences, and expands LASP’s capacity to meet the pressing needs of low-income people in its service area. This is a full-time position which will be based in Norristown, Montgomery County but will require significant travel between counties. The candidate must have the flexibility to work remotely or in the office as determined by LASP management based upon current health and safety guidelines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Conduct a pro bono inventory that thoroughly examines all aspects of LASP’s pro bono program and its interface with other organizational functions such as intake and case assignment. Assess the program’s strengths, challenges, and needs and use this information to develop a vision and a plan for pro bono for the organization;
- Develop and maintain expertise in best practices and innovations in pro bono delivery models;
- Work closely with LASP county Pro Bono Coordinators, Community Engagement Unit staff, and county pro bono support staff to design and implement high impact pro bono programs in LASP’s service area;
- Participate in LASP’s strategic planning process;
- Ensure that high quality services are delivered through LASP’s pro bono program. Collect data on the breadth and impact of LASP’s pro bono work and generate reports for the Board, the Executive Director, and funders;
- Build relationships on the Board level to support pro bono efforts;
- Supervise the Pro Bono Paralegal and supervise county Pro Bono Coordinators for the pro bono portion of their work;
- Assist the Executive and Deputy Directors to recruit, hire, train, evaluate and retain qualified pro bono staff. Cooperate with the Human Resources Manager to ensure that all employees comply with LASP personnel policies and procedures;
- Attend meetings and trainings related to pro bono programs and initiatives, including regularly scheduled LASP management meetings;
- Develop and maintain relationships with law firms, solo practitioners, law schools, bar associations, affiliate pro bono groups and businesses in the region to recruit and retain pro bono attorney volunteers;
- Complete required administrative tasks including entering of timekeeping in LASP case management software;
- Support LASP’s Finance and Human Resources staff in ensuring compliance with LASP’s fiscal and personnel policies and procedures; support LASP’s IT staff in ensuring that all staff’s technology needs are met; and suggest technology innovations to enhance the delivery of services;
- Abide by all professional and ethical standards of excellence;
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve program goals;
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned;
SUPERVISOR: The Pro Bono Director will report directly to LASP’s Executive Director.
SUPERVISING: Regional Pro Bono Paralegal and Pro Bono Coordinators on all pro bono- related responsibilities and activities.
SALARY RANGE: $68,000 and up depending on experience.
LASP is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in the recruitment, selection, or advancement of employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, genetic information or on any other basis prohibited by law.
QUALIFICATIONS: License to practice law in Pennsylvania or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission to Pennsylvania. Minimum 5 years’ experience as a lawyer, preferably in a non-profit legal services environment managing or coordinating programs or special projects and working closely with volunteers, or equivalent experience as an internal candidate. Demonstrated proficiency in word processing, Outlook products, case management software, and online legal research tools. Passionate commitment to public interest law and serving low-income individuals and vulnerable populations. Strong written and oral advocacy and organizational skills. Ability to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail. The ideal candidate must be an innovative thinker, self-starter, experienced leader, strong communicator and work well independently. Spanish language proficiency is desirable.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter including the job title (Pro Bono Director (PBDIR09072021)) to Kesha James, Deputy Director for Advocacy at Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania by email to Hiring@lasp.org. Position will remain open until filled.