Pro Bono Coordinator
CABA and LAJC are seeking a part-time pro bono coordinator (approx. 25 hours/week). Over the past year, CABA undertook and completed a pro bono strategic planning process, which recognized the need for a pro bono coordinator to assist in implementing and running the program. The coordinator will be an employee of LAJC and will report to the LAJC managing attorney on a day-to-day basis, and the CABA Pro Bono Committee will also provide oversight for the coordinator and the program in general. In the early phases of this position, the coordinator will be charged with and have some freedom with creating an efficient and effective model for a pro bono program within the bounds of the existing CABA pro bono strategic plan. The coordinator will have a variety of responsibilities but will primarily work with the CABA Pro Bono Committee to build and manage the CABA pro bono program.
Responsibilities will include:
• Assist in structuring pro bono systems within local Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar following guidelines set forth by the pro bono committee strategic plan.
• Set up, maintain and manage pro bono panels, which are regular opportunities for attorneys to provide limited legal assistance to clients at Legal Aid Justice Center.
• Review and screen cases appropriate for pro bono projects, including conducting intakes and setting eligibility and priorities with nonprofit legal directors and other pendent duties.
• Develop and maintain private attorney relationships while creating systems to keep volunteers engaged.
• Provide tools and resources for volunteer attorneys to handle pro bono cases.
• Coordinate with Law School’s Pro Bono Dean to involve law students in pro bono projects Research and pursue opportunities for sustainability for the pro bono program, such as available grants or other funding sources.
• Honor and cultivate pro bono efforts through recognition and cultural change in the Bar association.
Click Here to read more about this position and for instructions on how to apply.