Patients’ Rights Advocate
Individuals who are Deaf or Disabled are encouraged to apply.
Make a difference! We fight for the rights of those with disabilities...JOIN US!
Office Location: Coalinga, CA; Coalinga State Hospital
Excellent Benefits even for this part-time opportunity.
Non-Exempt: Part-time, 30 hours, 80%
WHO WE ARE
Disability Rights California (DRC) is a statewide, non-profit legal organization dedicated to advancing the rights of Californians with disabilities to live with autonomy, dignity, and respect in a barrier-free, inclusive, and diverse world that values each individual and their voice.
California Office of Patients’ Rights (COPR)
COPR is contracted by the Department of State Hospitals and working with the Department of Healthcare Services to ensure that the treatment and legal rights of people receiving mental health treatment are maintained.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Patients’ Rights Advocate (PRA) provides advocacy services to, and investigates complaints regarding abuse and denials of rights of, state hospital patients, provides training to both the hospital staff and residents, and represents patients at hearings on-site involving involuntary medication or at other due process hearings.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field. Four years of direct life experience as a mental health consumer or four years experience as a consumer advocate may be substituted in lieu of the Bachelor’s Degree (i.e., social work, counseling, self-help).
- Two years experience as a consumer advocate within the social, human service, government, or health care environment. (If using experience in lieu of a Bachelor's degree, this qualification has been met).
- Working knowledge and understanding of the mental health and criminal justice systems.
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Word/Windows or comparable word processing programs on a personal computer.
- Experience working with and a sensitivity to the rights of persons with disabilities.
- Experience working with and sensitivity to persons from multi-ethnic communities.
Working at DRC is more than just a job - it is a rare opportunity to do what you are good at while making a difference! DRC offers competitive salaries and a generous benefit package. To view the detailed job description and complete the application process: