Paralegal (Santa Monica Workgroup)
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA and our flexible hybrid work environment is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 150 employees, including more than 70 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
The Santa Monica Workgroup: LAFLA’s Santa Monica Workgroup is a community office assisting residents in the areas of housing, public benefits, and domestic violence and family advocacy. We often coordinate our advocacy with other non-profits, community-based organizations, and local government agencies to help our clients gain the best results through a holistic model of community advocacy.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Paralegal.
NOTE – This position is part of a special program created using designated funds. There is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond 12 months.
· A four (4) year degree or Paralegal Certificate;
· One (1) year relevant work experience preferred;
· Experience in providing assistance to low-income or homeless individuals, including interviewing;
· Experience working in diverse poverty law issues preferred;
· Some knowledge of, landlord-tenant law preferred;
· Self-motivated, takes initiative, ability to learn quickly;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
· Organized, with ability to work on high-volume caseload;
· Ability to be flexible in job duties;
· Spanish language proficiency preferred.Examples of Duties:
· Work in conjunction with the staff attorneys;
· Interview and counsel clients on various legal issues;
· Draft pleadings such as unlawful detainer answers and discovery, as well as support ongoing affirmative litigation;
· Participate in live “in person” clinics and other community outreach projects;
· Possess strong public speaking skills and desire to go out into the communities we serve;
· Work effectively as part of a team including other attorneys, support staff, students, volunteers & community organizers/organizations; and
· Other duties as assigned.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Paralegal – Santa Monica” in the subject line.
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD – A one-year introductory period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
**NOTE: LAFLA requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 with the exception of staff who are entitled to a reasonable accommodation due to a medical disability or sincerely held religious belief under the law. You will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated upon hire.Benefits & Compensation
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.