Paralegal (Public Benefits)
For over 50 years, Legal Aid Chicago has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our attorneys, volunteers, and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Legal Aid Chicago was founded on the philosophy that all individuals are entitled to quality civil legal representation, regardless of their income. We work to ensure that poverty is not an impediment to justice by dismantling the legal barriers that perpetuate inequality. Legal Aid Chicago staff live our mission through our core values of equity, excellence, inclusion, kindness, and respect.
Legal Aid Chicago seeks a full-time Paralegal within our Public Benefits Practice Group with a focus on serving veterans and people filing initial applications for public benefits. The Paralegal will report to a Supervisory Attorney and is responsible for the following tasks:
Responsibilities without limitation
- Complete intake for people seeking services from Public Benefits Outreach and Enrollment (PBOE) project though benefits hotline and place cases with PBOE staff or BeneMax Pro Bono Volunteer project;
- Complete intake for people seeking services from Veterans’ Rights Project through veterans’ hotline and assign to VRP staff or send to other practice groups for further intake or advice;
- Assist veteran clients in applying for benefits from the Department of Human Services
- Provide substantive support to BeneMax Pro Bono Volunteers;
- Conduct outreach to increase referrals and educate clients and social service and medical professionals about public benefits; and
- Assist with grant reporting.
- Assist attorneys with administrative tasks; and,
- Other duties as determined by the Supervising Attorneys and Director
Commensurate with experience. Legal Aid Chicago offers a comprehensive benefits package, including low-cost employer-paid health plan options, employer-provided group life and long-term disability insurance, fitness center access, generous paid time off, and much more.
Undergraduate degree strongly preferred. The applicant’s personal background, experience, or professional background should reflect an ability to work effectively in cross-cultural situations with clients, co-workers and the community we serve. Spanish fluency strongly preferred as well as knowledge of and experience with public benefits from the Department of Human Services (SNAP, Medicaid, TANF, AABD Cash) and / or the Department of Veterans Affairs (Service-Connected Compensation, Non-Service Connected Pension) and experience reviewing medical records. Good organizational, information-gathering skills, and excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential. A valid driver’s license is preferred.
Send cover letter, resume, and the contact information of two professional references to resume@legalaidchicago. Put the phrase “PBPG Paralegal” in the subject line of the email. We will consider applications on a rolling basis beginning immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.