Paralegal (Medical Legal Partnership)
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Paralegal. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
*NOTE – This position is part of a special program created using designated funds. There is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond November/December 2022.
- A four (4) year degree or Paralegal Certificate;
- One (1) year relevant work experience preferred;
- Ability to work effectively with hospital personnel, staff, volunteers, students, attorneys, and community members;
- Experience in providing assistance to the poverty population, including experience in interviewing clients;
- Knowledge of various areas of law such as housing, immigration law, family law and/or government benefits;
- Self-motivated, takes initiative, ability to learn quickly;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Organized, with ability to work on high-volume caseload;
- Comfortable with case management systems and other technology;
- Ability to travel to clinic location(s); and
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Assist with client screening and intake;
- Conduct and prepare legal research, writings, and memoranda as assigned;
- Assist with developing educational materials and coordinating community outreach activities;
- Perform general administrative tasks including data entry for timekeeping and case management;
- Interview and counsel clients;
- Provide limited service to clients;
- Work in conjunction with MLP attorney(s) in cases that involve housing, immigration, family, and/or government benefits law, and other legal issues;
- Participate in clinics and other community outreach projects; and
- Other duties as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Paralegal-Medical Legal Partnership” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD - A nine-month probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.