Paralegal (Economic Stability Workgroup - Employment Barrier Removal Project)*
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Paralegal. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
*NOTE – This position is part of a special program created using designated funds. There is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond September 2021.
- A four (4) year degree preferred;
- Paralegal certificate or one (1) year relevant work experience;
- Experience in providing assistance to clients who have been in the criminal justice system;
- Experience with clean slate work such as petitions to dismiss criminal records, Prop 47, and Prop 64;
- Self-motivated, takes initiative, ability to learn quickly;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Organized, with ability to work on high-volume caseload; and
- Ability to be flexible in job duties.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Conduct client intake and prepare legal forms;
- Work in conjunction with the staff attorneys; and
- Collect client data for grant reporting purposes.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Paralegal – ESWG Employment Barrier Removal Project” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD - A nine-month probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.