For over 50 years, Legal Aid Chicago has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our attorneys, volunteers, and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Legal Aid Chicago was founded on the philosophy that all individuals are entitled to quality civil legal representation, regardless of their income. We work to ensure that poverty is not an impediment to justice by dismantling the legal barriers that perpetuate inequality. Legal Aid Chicago staff live our mission through our core values of equity, excellence, inclusion, kindness, and respect.
Position: Legal Aid Chicago seeks one full-time paralegal in the Consumer Practice Group.
Paralegals work alongside attorneys and directly with clients on legal issues. This position will support our work with the Early Resolution Program with Cook County Legal Aid for Housing and Debt (CCLAHD), a county-wide initiative to help resolve eviction and debt issues.
The Early Resolution Program for consumer debt provides limited assistance to debtors in Cook County in order to advise them of their rights, provide referrals, and assist them in reaching agreements with their creditor(s). The program has both a pre-court and in-court component. The pre-court assistance focuses on screening and advising debtors of their rights. The in-court assistance focuses on advice, referrals and negotiation to resolve issues prior to trial. The paralegals support both aspects of this program, providing support to staff attorneys in screening and following up with debtors. This position is hybrid, a minimum of one day a week in the office is required.
- Conduct telephone and virtual interviews to determine client eligibility for services
- Assist with providing brief services to clients including providing advice, obtaining documents, sending client correspondence, assisting with court filings and communicating on behalf of clients.
- Ensure smooth operations of the consumer early resolution program including client registration and advice
- Engage and provide administrative support to staff in the consumer early resolution program
- Track data related to grant, pro bono work, and assist on related reporting
- Make appropriate referrals inside Legal Aid Chicago and to external partners
- Maintain case files and accurate timekeeping in electronic case management system
- Other duties as determined by the Supervising Attorneys and Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Legal Aid Chicago offers a comprehensive benefits package, including low-cost employer-paid health plan options, employer-provided group life and long-term disability insurance, fitness center access, generous paid time off, and much more.
- A college degree preferred
- Computer proficiency, including familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- The ability to work well under pressure, and to learn and retain new information
- The ability to quickly and thoroughly gather information from clients and then summarize it concisely
- A demonstrated interest or experience working with Legal Aid Chicago’s client populations
- The applicant’s personal background, experience, or professional background should reflect an ability to work effectively in cross-cultural situations with clients, co-workers, volunteers, and the community we serve
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, and the contact information of two professional references. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled. Apply here.
Legal Aid Chicago is firmly committed to creating a diverse workplace and is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and therefore does not discriminate on the basis of creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age religion, marital or parental status, alienage, disability, political affiliation or belief, military or military discharge status, or ex-offender status. Applicants who have experiences with our client communities are encouraged to apply.